Physiotherapy in Taiwan


I am from Europe, and I’d like to move to Taiwan and work as a PT - Physiotherapist. Currently I am working in China, but for some reasons I’d definitely prefer to move to Taiwan (Taipei). It would be great if I could contact with a foreigner PT working in Taiwan, and get some informations.

  • Will I have to pass any exams in order to be able to practice by my own ?
  • Are there any western clinics where I could work ? (I did some research, but couldn’t find much though).

I specialize in manual therapy treating musculoskeletal disorders, as well as various injuries.

I will appreciate any help.


To Whom it May Concern,

I am a Canadian trained PT with over 15 years of experience. Just wondering if you had any luck finding PT work in Taiwan. I grew up in Taiwan and would love to try having the opportunity to go back, though can’t read or write Mandarin the best. Just seeing what luck you had.


Never really tried, cause I have found a job as a PT in China. There will be more and more opportunities in China for us.

Regards !

There is definite demand for physio here due to an increasingly active-(ish) local population. A lot of foreigners have this need too. Especially if you have sports massage skills.

You need to pass examination in Chinese. 專門職業及技術人員考試

You may find some sample exams here.

物理治療師 Physiotherapist

試題 sample exam
答案 answer


I consulted a PT friend of mine. It seems that before you are approved to take the exam, you need to have internship for at least 36 weeks/1440 hrs.

Please see this document for detail:

Translate: If you don’t have enough internship, you can apply to have internship in the accredited hospitals in Taiwan.

Internship done at a foreign school can be counted. You need a certification issued by your school. If there are shortage, you need to do make up internship at somewhere.

Thank you. Does internship count when you have actively worked in a country like Canada as a PT for over 15 years?

The regulation seems to say the internship requirement is applied to people who graduate school after 2014.

All the rule of the PT licensing exam are posted in this official website
Here’s what you should do before taking the exam.

I just called the Ministry of Examination (02)2236-9188 Ext: 3150 to inquire about the Physiotherapist licensing examination for foreigners who want to practice PT in Taiwan. I’m surprised that they also have English receptionist, just press 2 when you call.

Here’s some info I got from the Ministry of Examination:

  1. Everyone has to go through licensing exam no matter how many years you’ve practiced in other countries since Taiwan doesn’t have any reciprocal route for PT or other medical professionals.

  2. All the examinations are in Chinese, except some medical terms might be written in English.

  3. If you have your PT education in other countries, please provide the following documents and send it to the Ministry of Examination two months before the licensing exam, which is held twice annually in early January and late July.
    * Diploma, Transcript, Proof of internship, Certificate of Entry and Exit Records (to prove that one actually study in that school), Passport, Application form.
    Some of these documents have to be translated into Chinese and be accredited by the Embassy of Taiwan abroad.

  4. The Ministry of Examination will review your documents and prove your eligibility to sit for the licensing exam.

I hope this answers most people’s question.

I do personally know a TCM doctor who had his MD. PhD degree in Germany. He came to Taiwan to learn TCM and he loved living in Taiwan. In order to become a TCM doctor in Taiwan, he went to school for 5 years and passed the exam.

Nothing is impossible! Good Luck.

Thank you so much for taking the time to look into this for me. Might have to spend some time brushing up on my Chinese (can speak and understand, but not read well). Really appreciate all of your help.

1 Like