Piaggio's 3-wheel scooter that leans

Anyone heard of the Piaggio “mp3”? Interesting machine. Two front wheels, and it leans.
powersportsnetwork.com/enthu … sp?id=2517

Here is the official site in English, which has plenty of annoying Flash stuff but doesn’t answer the question why make a leaning 3-wheel scooter. (The article above says it’s for better braking and better performance in the wet).
mp3.piaggio.com/index_eng.html

And here’s a video of it in action:
youtube.com/watch?v=3lr-eWKU … ch=piaggio

I think it will be a hot seller, despite the ugliness and weirdness. People who are afraid of motorcycles falling over will think about it. It will appeal to commuters that want to save gas money. (Scooters do get good gas milage, don’t they?)

I’m surprised they don’t have it available with some sort of cage to keep weather out and other safety features.

I’m thinking delivery drivers, couriers, postal employees will want one. Look at what the lowly small displacement motorcycle does in asia…a veritable workhorse for millions.

Look out, north America. The scooter revolution is coming…

(run to the hills)

Maybe the 2 front wheels would add better slow speed stability and braking. It must be for people who think they can’t ride on 2 wheels.

Interesting idea, though. Surprised it’s not here.

[quote=“canucktyuktuk”]I think it will be a hot seller, despite the ugliness and weirdness. People who are afraid of motorcycles falling over will think about it

Maybe the 2 front wheels would add better slow speed stability and braking. It must be for people who think they can’t ride on 2 wheels.[/quote]Better braking, yes. But I’m not sure about “stability”. It looks as if they’ve spent a lot of time designing it so that it does lean, and the video of that guy taking it through the curves makes it look as if it has light enough steering.

It’s a pain riding bikes with heavy steering, anyway.

[quote=“canucktyuktuk”]I’m surprised they don’t have it available with some sort of cage to keep weather out and other safety features.[/quote]That would be the BMW C1, which was considered underpowered and was not a great commercial success:
bmwworld.com/models/concepts/c1.htm

My god that is ugly. Go back to the cool tri-car thread please.

[quote=“canucktyuktuk”]I’m surprised they don’t have it available with some sort of cage to keep weather out and other safety features.[/quote]That would be the BMW C1, which was considered underpowered and was not a great commercial success:
bmwworld.com/models/concepts/c1.htm[/quote]

It wasn’t a commercial failure because it was underpowered. It was a commercial failure because it wasn’t considered “cool”.

BMW assumed/gambled that people could be persuaded to buy a motorcycle for rational reasons.

Nice try, but no cigar.

And the point of this bike is…?