Piano lessons

Where can I find someone to teach piano lessons, but in English?

You get a fantastic discount if you go for the piano lessons in Chinglish. If you make big bucks, you might want to contact some one in the TAS music department. The teachers there are great, but 2k/hour.

Have you considered teaching yourself piano? :slight_smile:

In the days of Mozart, music education was much much much much much much much much much much much different. :slight_smile: It was more creative. So many people really write music. Teachers wrote music. The average musician probably wrote music. It just wasn’t good enough to survive. Or they never tried to play for others. Many composers and even older famous musicans considered composition an important part of music education.

People experimented and played around, just like a real artist, painting anyone? Sit in your room for hours on end and just doodle like a kid would draw. When the time comes, learn theory as you go, study other pieces, and who knows, maybe compose.

If you had something simple like a harmonica, people would tend more to be creative and just play. But why not do that with any instrument, with any type of music?

Sounds like so much fun, doesn’t it? :slight_smile:

I imagine sometime within the next thousand years, we might go back to something like that. Someday we will.

Um, isn’t that what piano lessons are any more? That’s how I was taught and I’m not THAT old! :wink:

My girlfriend is a piano teacher. She speaks English as well. PM me if you or anyone for that matter is interested.

You have a piano?

Or, as another question, where is a place where one could practice piano once in a while?

Here’s a recommendation I gave to the original poster, also a place where you can “rent” a piano for something like NT100 per hour.

2nd floor, 185 Chung Shan N. Road, Section 2
Royal Vienna Music Academy

The person who is easiest to communicate with in English is Ruth but I know the other receptionist speaks English too but is just a little shy.

They have other instruments there too for practice, cello, drums, harp, and something else I’m forgetting.

(Anyone know where I can get a cheap beginner guitar?)

[quote=“moretap”]You have a piano?

Or, as another question, where is a place where one could practice piano once in a while?[/quote]

Not sure if that was directed at me. But if so, then yes. My gf has a grand piano.

Thanks for the information…i’ll check everything else out…i’ll probably not be spending the 2K for the classes, or teaching myself…but i’ll check out the other suggestions.

I’m also interested in getting back on piano. Such a cool instrument. I had a Rhodes 73 a few years ago and I learned a lot by just banging on it, listening for the right notes, etc. Don’t disparage what you can learn from books, either.

But a good teacher is priceless…

I’ve heard of people renting apartment sized pianos by the month. Anybody know where? I’m trying to save up for a weighted key midi piano, but thats going to be a while…

Um, isn’t that what piano lessons are any more? That’s how I was taught and I’m not THAT old! :wink:[/quote]

:slight_smile: Do you see people these days, classically trained, that love to spend time in front of the piano improvising? People jam with other instruments, they do that with jazz. Why not with classical?

Education has become much more formalized and rigid. Creativity has disappeared. That’s the difference. Someday, we may go back. Not in our lifetime. Someday, we may even go back to the Socratic method.

Myself, I will probably never ever ever play any music except my own. :slight_smile:

I read books that brilliant authors have written for intellectual and emotional stimulation.
I play music that brilliant composers have written for intellectual and emotional stimulation.

There’s nothing wrong with focusing on performance, and everything about it is a creative process.

:slight_smile:

If you read writings by and about older performers and composers, you’ll eventually see how we think about music and music education has significantly changed.

People didn’t spend all their time playing the works of others. Painters don’t spend time making reproductions. Teachers taught improvistation and composition from the very beginning. Teachers composed their own works for students. This is the creativity that is gone. Even many modern performers say that music (at least classical) is dead. :slight_smile:

One problem with reading about older performers and composers is that those you can do research on tend to have been elite in their time. Yes, for example, Bach wrote some famous pieces for his various students as exercises. But what about Frauline Frodich who lived down the street from Bach and taught harpsichord? No one has ever heard of her and her students were terrible (I’ve created this woman for argument’s sake :slight_smile: ).

I took theory and counterpoint, i wrote 4-part harmonies, studied and analyzed fugues and sonatas, but I didn’t go into composition because composition is it’s own discipline.

Even very famous composers like Prokofiev, Barber, and Rachmaninoff have noted that they weren’t able to play some of their own compositions to their satisfaction because their technique wasn’t sufficient (I’m specifically referring to Prok’s Toccata, Barber’s Sonata, and Rachmaninoff’s 2nd sonata). So I’m sure they were very pleased that some people devoted their lives only to playing pieces well and developing technique. And those people who devote their lives to playing pieces well are infinitely grateful that there are those out there who devote their lives to composition.

And I disagree that classical music is dead, or even that educated modern performers say that. When I was in the US, I would still get all silly happy when a new album came out from a performer I liked or with a new interpretation of a piece I love. And tons of people still compose new pieces which are performed regularly. When Volodos, Kissin, Argerich, Pletnev, Lang Lang, etc., sell out multiple venues in world tours, I don’t think it’s dead at all. Just different from before.

And as for painters painting reproductions, at my calligraphy/chinese painting classes, people spend all their class time doing that. I admit, though, that I’ve never seen anyone back home do that.

I see where you’re coming from, but in the end I disagree.

I tought myself how to play guitar… watch some videos, visit some sites… Im not as good as van halen or some of the locals here who basically did rote learning… but im trying to get there…

My brother recommends it. (piano nanny) for cheap bastards that want to try to teach themselves.