Pickled eggs

I’m knocking up some pickled eggs. I’ve got the vinegar. Any recommendations?

1 Like

Yeah… don’t do it. Just don’t.

2 Likes

Lots of paprika, chilies and garlic…

Smoked paprika and we’re talkin’.

I made pickled eggs once, and used this recipe:

I used half of the caster sugar and added chilli.

Why? They sell pickled eggs here for like 9nt a pop.

They are great. I like making some chinese styled ones now and then. Bit of cloves, star anise, decent dash of fennel seed, bit of coriander and white peppercorns then some tweeks to adjust.

Pickled eggs are an awesome snack during work. Or good sliced into a real meal.

+1

Edit. Now i use simple white vinegar, not rice, but sometimes i like to add a splash of apple cider or even black rice wine for a change. Fairly small amount.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s possible to knock up chicken eggs no matter how biggusdickus you are.

Eggs pickling. Clams pickled (I’m pretending they’re cockles).

anyone successfully made century eggs?

Straight up vinegar and onions? Did you add a spice?

Onion, garlic, chili, pepper corns, chili’s

1 Like

I use the same ikea jars, but youcould fit double the eggs in that without spoiling.

Any recipe notes we can follow if you taste tests passed?

I like to add about 1/2 star anise and 3 clove peices (not the garlic kind) on top of you r recipe to make the old family members get that “chinese” kick haha. Also use heinz white vinegar as a base but through in a few spoons of rice wine vinegar for same said family members taste.

Such a good snack!

Give us a taste test review! I ruined my last batch, bout time for a new one

1 Like

challenge accepted

Anyone had one of these? Iron egg - Wikipedia

Native to Danshui

They are like an intense tea egg, the warm ones you can get from the street venders are ok when they are still warm.

the ones from 7-11 are foul.

Here’s how you make iron egg.

Similar process can be adopted for egg shaped object.

I tried making century eggs in the states but failed. I just soaked the raw egg in sodium hydroxide solution for 2 weeks and while it smelled like century egg, it tasted horrible! I don’t know how it’s REALLY done.

But century eggs are expensive in the states, like 5 dollars for a box of 4. In Taiwan they are less than 10nt each. But you are REALLY supposed to start with duck eggs, not chicken.

Probably can’t get them in the UK, wouldn’t want to try either. Our food is bad imitation shite.

I’ve got a huge craving for a salted duck egg now, could eat 12 of them. It’s midnight but even if it wasn’t there’s no chance of getting them anywhere.

Buy Shen Dan Duck Century Eggs 6 Pieces 408g - Chinese Supermarket Online UK | Starry Mart,
currently out of stock.

you can also get them in the big Asian supermarkets like wing yip.