Pictures from Saturn

We should be seeing some pretty amazing pictures for the next four or so years. I always get excited when a new spaceship reaches its destination. I enjoy the pictures more than the science. We should get some new views of the rings and they will send a probe to Titan.
Here is the official site: http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/index.cfm

I can see Uranus.

I can see Uranus.[/quote]
Any Klingons around it?

Wonder how many people have clicked on this topic, only to roll their eyes and mutter “bloody schoolkids!” For all of those people, :raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry:
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Notice where the sun is, hence Earth :notworthy:

Why hasn’t anyone mentioned Richard’s posting of Phoebe’s rocks ?

Bloody schoolkids! If you want to see Phoebe’s rocks you have to watch Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Every time I hear the Cars’ “Moving in Stereo” I picture Phoebe’s rocks. Great song. GREAT movie scene. Two tastes that go great together.

Highlights of Orbit Insertion: June 30

(All times are approximate and listed in Pacific Time)

6:10 p.m. PDT - Spacecraft turns so its high-gain antenna can shield the craft from particles as it crosses Saturn’s ring plane.
7:36 p.m. PDT - Engine begins burn, which will slow spacecraft down so it can be captured by Saturn’s gravity. Burn lasts approximately 96 minutes.
8:54 p.m. PDT - Cassini captured in Saturn orbit.
9:03 p.m. PDT - Closest approach to Saturn of entire mission: 19,980 kilometers (12,400 miles) from Saturn’s cloud tops.
9:12 p.m. PDT to
9:22 p.m. PDT - Engine burn ends.
9:35 p.m. PDT - Spacecraft begins to take pictures of Saturn’s rings.

*If everything proceeds as planned, first images are expected July 1, at approximately 5 a.m. PDT.

[quote=“Richardm”]Highlights of Orbit Insertion: June 30

(All times are approximate and listed in Pacific Time)

6:10 p.m. PDT - Spacecraft turns so its high-gain antenna can shield the craft from particles as it crosses Saturn’s ring plane.
7:36 p.m. PDT - Engine begins burn, which will slow spacecraft down so it can be captured by Saturn’s gravity. Burn lasts approximately 96 minutes.
8:54 p.m. PDT - Cassini captured in Saturn orbit.
9:03 p.m. PDT - Closest approach to Saturn of entire mission: 19,980 kilometers (12,400 miles) from Saturn’s cloud tops.
9:12 p.m. PDT to
9:22 p.m. PDT - Engine burn ends.
9:35 p.m. PDT - Spacecraft begins to take pictures of Saturn’s rings.

*If everything proceeds as planned, first images are expected July 1, at approximately 5 a.m. PDT.[/quote]

I’m looking forward to seeing closeups of the rings. And, of course, the Huygens landing on Titan later this year.

There will be a flyby of Titan on Oct 26 at 6:30pm PST, which by my calculations should be at 11:30am Oct 27 Taiwan time. There is a webcast at http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/webcast/cassini/
I don’t know how interesting this will be but there will be some interesting pictures as a result of flying 750 km above the atmosphere.

Once the pictures come in, how fast in determining if life can be sustained there? I have a few people i wanna send off as soon as possible… :smiley: :smiley:

This flyby will be able to resolve anything larger than a football field. If they see any football fields then I think life there will be okay. If all they find are cricket pitches and jogging trails, then I would not advise living there.

[quote=“Richardm”]There will be a flyby of Titan on Oct 26 at 6:30pm PST, which by my calculations should be at 11:30am Oct 27 Taiwan time. There is a webcast at http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/webcast/cassini/
I don’t know how interesting this will be but there will be some interesting pictures as a result of flying 750 km above the atmosphere.[/quote]
Richard,

We are 12 hours ahead of Eastern time right now (I don’t think Daylight Savings Time is over yet). That puts us 15 hours ahead of Pacific. 6:30pm PDT is 9:30am Taiwan.

Daylight Savings Time usually changes on a Saturday-Sunday night (2am Sunday, usually), so I guess they’re gonna do it on Hallowe’en this year. Even if the change happens in midweek, it’ll still be 10:30am.

Here’s a link to the US Naval Observatory official clock:
tycho.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/timer.pl

P.S. – sorry, I didn’t mean to “out” you on your name being Richard.

You are correct sir. It should be tomorrow at 9:30am. There will also be a replay available on the Cassini-Huygens website.

Isn’t this the planet that richardm was brought back to life on?

No, but I think they may find life of Uranus.

Not much happening out there. I wish they would take some color pictures. They have this one

it’s really pretty, but it’s hard to tell what it is of.

What is wrong with my eyes? I clicked on this thread believing it was entitled “Pictures from Satan.”
Oh, well.

That little dot towards the right of the second picture is Mimas, where Arnold “Ace” Rimmer came from.
The blue streaks at the top is actually light being scattered by Saturn’s atmosphere, the rings are the beige coloured bands at the bottom.
The probe that took that picture is just about to lauch another probe at 18,000 kph up Uranus to Titan.

Here’s a closer picture of Mimas:

“That’s no moon, it’s a ,er, moon”

This is what I’m talking about. Dione above Saturn in color. That’s how it would look if you were there. Except for the radiation burning your eyeballs out.