Pimp my Dink

There’s just no other way to ask that question if you’re a guy with a big Dink.

I have a 250cc Dink that I’m thinking about doing some changes to. It’s about 4-5 years old, and while I could trade it in on a newer Exciting or something, I don’t see the point. It serves me fine and the power and looks are (in my opinion) suitable for the type of riding and stuff I do.

If anything, I would like to tune it so it has just a little more power (I kind of mean off the line efficiency and lower to mid range grunt, and I think the regular cruising speed should be more efficient at lower rpm’s. It just seems like it could be better without blowing the manufacturer;s recommendations out of the water.

I would also like to upgrade the suspension and brakes (brakes are fine but I really like brakes that are one finger responsive and like new. I’m almost due for new rotors and pads anyway, and I noticed the boots around the front fork seals are falling apart, which is going to mean front fork work sooner or later. I’m going to need a new set of tires and I was thinking about getting some cool rims too.

Can you put a steering dampener on a scooter, like the big bikes have? I’m getting vibration on deceleration and large pothole hits too.

I want to install a metal footboard thing that covers the entire floorboard. I have seen some owners with this and I now know this is because the plastic there and around it is really not very sturdy. A heavy foot down over braking can break things down there. This seems to be a custom order.
Also, I hope to remove the plastic crap around the handlebars, replace them with a nice looking chrome or anodized set, and install mirrors that are up on the handlebars where they should be. In order to clear the windscreen (which I’m going to replace as well) they will probably need to have an interesting bend to them.
I’m going to replace the seat eventually with a new or custom refurbished one, but I think I know where to do that.
I want to do some custom work around the backrest/ package tray area. I want a platform there that can be multi- purpose. I hope to be able to put a custom cargo-box with a backrest for the pillion rider, but also be able to remove it with ease, install a platform for carrying larger items, and also keep or remove that easily and have a place for a trailer hitch. I have an ideal for a gooseneck style one wheeled trailer that can carry a large bin that also has turn signals and brake lights.

I’m looking for a shop that sells some of the stuff, one that can make stuff, and I’m even interested in doing a lot myself. I have a bit of a shop in my home already. I’m always interested in more tools and currently crave a welder, air compressor with painting attachments, and an advanced education in related engineering.

Jokes about people who ride things called Dinks and why they would want to modify them are most welcome. Ideas?

Also, My friend is looking for a product called Lock-Tite, or an equivalent . The blue kind.

Thank you kindly.

That’s good because I’ve got nothing useful to add.
Shouldn’t this thread be titled “Pimp my Dink”?

Sorry, i thought at first that you wanted bendy straws, swizzle sticks, and cocktail umbrellas.

Carry on.

I thought it was just another racist thread on racism.

:cactus:

Damn, It should be called Pimp My Dink!

I’ve been watching way too many Speed channel shows featuring chopper artists.

ctt, you can edit the thread title from within your original post.

Pump my Dink?

Hump my Dink?

Or if that’s not subtle enough for ya, how about “Englebert”, mocknee ryming slang stylee…

But maybe we’re a bit too mid Atlantic on ere for that to be a go-er.

Chim chimery chim chimery chim chim cherie…

[quote=“canucktyuktuk”]
If anything, I would like to tune it so it has just a little more power (I kind of mean off the line efficiency and lower to mid range grunt, and I think the regular cruising speed should be more efficient at lower rpm’s. It just seems like it could be better without blowing the manufacturer;s recommendations out of the water.
.[/quote]

If I understand you correctly (The terms power, efficiency, grunt and efficient-speed(?) imply a range of different and partly incompatible things to me and are, taken together, a bit confusing) you can, by changing gearing progression (ie the centrifugal actuating weights in the automatic transmission) get either lower to mid range “grunt” (= torque, right?) or lower rpm’s at cruising speed, but not both.

I suppose if you can tune the engine for more torque at lower rpm AND fit heavier rollers so the gearing is effectively taller then you might get something like what you seem to be after. My impression is that tuners are usually after more power rather than more lower end torque so I’d GUESS that might be difficult to achieve.

I’ve heard that braided stainless brake hoses alone can achieve this (assuming you hav’nt already got them) and this, along with maintenance of your existing kit, will be cheap.

I’d use a sheet of tri-axial biopolymer microtubule laminate for this. Stronger, lighter and cheaper. Of course you might not find a bit of plywood sufficiently bling. Can’t help that, I don’t do bling.

Me too (though meantime I got a handcart, which, though equally illegal, is less likely to attract attention). I’ve been thinking along the lines of a scooter with the front wheel removed, which seems to match your description pretty exactly. Plenty of dead Dio’s and Jog’s lying around, and if you want to push your luck/the envelope, they come fitted with an engine, for “just a little more power”. :whistle:

ruten. all there. waiting for your farkle frenzy.

You can get most of the parts you are looking for online

search.ruten.com.tw/search/s000. … k=dink+250

brakes are easy to upgrade, for power maybe an air filter upgrade first.

Pic’s - you owe use pics.

Pic’s - you owe use pics.[/quote]

Damn, thought that would slip under the radar.

I kind of agree, sort of (though its just the standard issue post-industrial-crone-cart, nothing “premium”) but my camera is bust which is why I havn’t re-activated the thread. I’ll see if I can scrounge one up.