Pineapple Row (and other assorted food and beverage bans)

National security secrets being sold! get the spy’s out on the case!

I made a pineapple upside down cake last weekend. This weekend, I’ll have to make several jars of pineapple jalapeno jam.
Pineapples are also really great in a green juice instead of apple. Or grilled pineapple on a sandwich. Mmmm maybe some pina coladas…

5 Likes

Tomorrow I am gonna have pineapple pizza.

Good thing you have a Canadian passport, as I think the Italian authorities may want to terminate your citizenship after this! :rofl:

Guy

4 Likes

You know that they opened up a starbucks in Italy so people can go and feel American, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

You got us confused with the French. We’re far more laid back.

2 Likes

I thought you were Italian!

2 Likes

From what I read and see in the news, it seems that China finding an excuse to ban Taiwan Pineapples has been great for the Industry here, to the point that now the farmers cant keep up. Sadly it means local prices will rise though - supply and demand.

I would never eat pineapple pizza, but i’m ok with it. I draw the line at kiwi, that is just stupid.

The people who primarily gatekeep pizza tend to be non-Italians.

Nobody’s calling US pizza Italian, but everyone I know and have met are chill.

1 Like

i…don’t believe you.

1 Like

Yeah, I’d be pretty pissed if the restaurant intentionally substituted my order for something else too.

What people don’t understand is a place CLAIMING to be Italian or where people expect it to be Italian.

It’s not that people hate pineapple pizza, it’s all about expectations.

If I was to open a US pizza joint in Italy, if I wanted to sell pineapple pizza, I’d be draping the store in US and Canada flags.

Think of it as an informal or roundabout way of truth in advertising.

3 Likes

It was actually government agricultural officials who went over there and spilled the beans.

1 Like

Wow, on an official mission or as as “private initiative”?

I think it was an official technical-expertise sharing mission.

1 Like

My bad…“former” officials.

4 Likes

Doing my civic duty.
My tepache is foamy

0eqaQvS

6 Likes

This means I don’t need to buy pineapples any more?

2 Likes

By the way, in case no one has mentioned, most processed pineapple products in Taiwan are imported from Thailand. That includes canned pineapples from famous Taiwanese brands, such as Taiwan Sugar Corporation (台糖) and Typhone Inc (台鳳).

If the filling of pineapple cakes isn’t make by some type of Cayenne Pineapple, what locals refer to as Native Pineapples (土鳳梨), then the pineapples used are probably also imports. Most pineapples locally grown are for non-processed consumption.

By the way, calling Cayenne Pineapple “native pineapples” is ridiculous, since pineapple is indigenous to the Americas, therefore all varieties of pineapples, at least their ancestors, had to have been brought to Taiwan by the European colonials.

5 Likes

It’s amazing really when one thinks of all the different plants that have been brought here through colonization, including the fruits we typically think of as “Taiwanese” such as pineapples, mangoes, and so on.

Guy

1 Like

Sweet potato, tapioca, potato, chili pepper, papaya, passion fruit, dragon fruit, sik-khia (custard apple), corn, peanuts, chayote, turkey, rainbow trout, mosquitofish, just to name a few, are all from the Americas.

Many of these are considered symbols of Taiwan. Taiwanese refer to the island and themselves as sweet potato. Taiwanese claim they invented tapioca tea. People always say you could tell the creek is unpolluted because there is mosquitofish swimming around. There are Aboriginal legends about passion fruit. You also would see papaya trees growing everywhere if you leave the cities.

2 Likes