Pineapple Row (and other assorted food and beverage bans)

I actually like the idea of buying so much, over and beyond what has been lost, that those who made this decision to “punish” Taiwan are embarrassed. Keep buying I say!

1 Like

Pork tenderloin is cheap

1 Like

KMT? Preparing to move to China!

Neh, it’s to pleasure American tourists.

How about pineapple ON pizza?

Filling for those cakes is probably bulk frozen pineapple pulp, leftover from squeezing pineapple juice for beverage and juice industry. Big chance they are not local pineapples.

1 Like

All over the news now. The headline from the second article. A bit lame.

As long as they are not ‘milk’ pineapple. Pineapple varieties in Taiwan.

In Belgium we have sweet-sour pineapple chicken and sweet-sour pineapple shrimp in ‘Chinese’ restaurants. I’ll take that over pineapple beef noodle soup any day.

1 Like

I know a few buddha-head fruit farmers who are crapping that the same thing might happen to them.

The entire thing is such a cluster fuck of ignorance on many levels: political, economical and biological.

I didnt support the pineapple fad because of biology and.ecology in how bad they are for long term agriculture.

I support the cause because it was a deliberate, delayed and obvious fuck you from the CCP. I there any other kind?

So,what the hell…

3 Likes

The photo… Are these… 100% organic Taiwanese? Asking for a friend.

1 Like

Now, @Dr_Milker will tell us where she took that photo at.

1 Like

Right next to her cleavage… :grin:

1 Like

The pineapples and the knockers are 100% non organic. Although the later may not be sprayed, the fertilizers used are far from organic. Same goes for probably 98% of all humans now, our food is almost always contaminted.

Organic or not, sometimes youre still hungry…

1 Like

Thanks, unfortunately the relevant post only says something like “black pineapple”… Not helpful.

The sign seems to say something like:

More familiar than wife
Sweeter than a lover and
More tasty than a mistress
Take me home

But I take @Explant s explanation that the pineapples probably aren’t organic. I love reading your perspective on many agricultural topics here - thanks a lot! For us uninitiated, could you please describe a bit how pineapple farming is hurting long term agriculture?

Do these country roads have pineapples?

1 Like

I think the sign might be added by netizens using photoshop. The lighting seems a bit off.

1 Like

Also, the sign seems to not be on the photo in the Instagram account that you posted ^^

It’s added.

Shhhh! Its a secret! Dont tell the roselle, mango, cherimoya and so on farmers that!

@olm i was talking about her breasts, but the pineapples arent either usually.

My opinion of why pineapples are bad for the ecolog of the area is similar to why solar panel installations in taiwan are equally horrible. They are putting them on valuable agricture land.

Basically pineapple are a CAM plant which even more basically means they are extremely efficient at controlling their water loss, as with all other bromeliads. Fun fact, air plants are called air pineapple in Mandarin here. As these plants are exceptionally great with controlling water, as are many succulents, cacti etc, the farms best line of defense against weeds is drought. So in a way, pineapple are great in the sense they use virtually no water via irrigation and relatively little chemicals for weed and pest control. The issue is that necause they want them to grow dry, they grow them frying in the sun to kill weeds. They also dig trenches to a pit in order to allow heavy rains to wash away faster. That seems fantastic on every level, and it is, except when it comes to soil erosion. After a decade of pineapple cultivation a lot of top soil has eroded and that is arguably worse than spraying.

So my opinion is that pineapple absolutely shouldnt be grown on mountain slopes or nice fertile lands as those topsoils took tens of thousands of years, if not longer, to build up. Pineapple grows great on crappy rocky soils that arent suitable for various other crops.

A second problem with taiwanese farmers is they use a very thin plastic sheeting as aweed barrier and plant double rows. This is almost never removed and ploughed back into the soil. So there is no doubt more and more microplastics entering our food. Given the UV extremes on a pineapple farms ground and te thickness/type of plastic, this is innevitable.

4 Likes