Pingxi line & associated places

People have already written some about the Pingxi line in the Your most memorable train ride in Taiwan thread. But as I just rode out to Pingxi earlier today and am feeling a much happier person for it I thought I’d give the line and its associated places their due with their own thread. I’m beginning to consider the possibility that my wife’s contention that exercise, fresh air, and sunlight occasionally have advantages over a life spent in front of a computer screen might actually have some merit. :shock:

It had been a few years since I’d been out there. I was surprised to see that the train had been switched from the old green model to a modified dianche (regular dianche but with seating like normal trains). So a little of the ambience is gone. On the other hand, I wasn’t about to complain about having air conditioning on the train.

Today my wife and I stopped in Pingxi itself and climbed up some of the pointy mountains. From the station, cross the river and then go right. Very soon on your left will be a signpost (with English and romanization). Follow the path there.

There are lots of other trails and places to go along the line, though.

Trains from Taipei take only about 45 minutes to reach Ruifang, which is where most people transfer to the Pingxi line. From Ruifang to Pingxi takes about 40 minutes; the ride alone is worth the trip.

If you don’t live near the train station, buses run to Ruifang along each of Roosevelt, Patch Road and Zhongxiao East Road, every 20 minutes on normal days. The last two continue to Jiufen and Jinguashi.

It’s a nice scooter ride too. From Muzha head around to Shen Keng (sp?) (tofu town) keep going until you hit a big T-junction with nothing but a convenience store on the corner. The right-hand branch heads to Ping Ling. Take the left and you’ll head up the hills to Pingxi. A little bit further is Shi Fen which is really nice and where they sell sky lanterns, From here you can also take a long windy road all the way to Shungxi and then the E coast.

Does anyone have the book Daytrips in Taipei? Soemone told me they mention one of the stops on the pingxi line, which ios apparently fantastic.

Brian

It’s a good bike ride - a regular feature with those who ride big bikes here. Keep an eye on your rear view mirrors.

I’ve been meaning to bicycle to Pingxi, bag the bike, and hop on the Pingxi line and ride the train back to Taipei. I wonder if the doors of the new dianche , and the walkway for that matter, are wide enough to accommodate my bulky bike bag. I know you could do it with the old model trains.

carnky wrote; “I’m beginning to consider the possibility that my wife’s contention that exercise, fresh air, and sunlight occasionally have advantages over a life spent in front of a computer screen might actually have some merit.”

she’s right. nice post and thanks for the memories. we all need to get out and get some fresh air. every day!

The doors will be no problem, and you needn’t worry about dragging your bike bag down the aisle because there’s an open area near the doors that would accomodate it just fine.