Pingxi Sky Lantern 2010

Divea and those with kids, if Pingxi seems too crowded/mafan etc. you also have the option of going to Xindian. Just take the MRT down to the end of the line. There are cafes and restaurants on the side, a lake on the other and less mess.

At least you get your own space to write and release the lanterns freely.

WOW really?? Thank you so much :notworthy: same day same time?

All week long, evenings mostly.

They do now. Click on the above link.

Sounds interesting, but too much trouble for me/us.

Wish they were. Fucking things are STILL festooning the trees round where I live, a year on from the last jolly old litter-fest. Goddamn filthy barbarians. :fume:

Officially illegal in Taipei City, not illegal in Taipei County. Yes Xindian is still in Taipei county as is PingXi.

Does anyone know how the queue for the train from Shifen to Ruifang is as compared to the shuttle downhill? How crowded would it be? Would we have to miss a couple of trains before making it onboard? I’m toying with the idea of taking the train out of Shfen back to Hualien but can’t afford to miss the connection as the kids have school early the next morning.Any help would be appreciated , thanks.

Here’s the schedule:
act.tourism.tpc.gov.tw/skylantern/trafficE.html

I wouldn’t take the chance on the train if I had somewhere to go.

Muchaman, thanks for the schedule, I have that worked out , even had the tickets booked. I think I’d take your advice, not worth the risk, really, thanks again.

Since Sunday and Next Saturday will be very very crowded. (for kids) It we have decided to go to Pingxi tomorrow, and to xindian some time later.

CFI thank you for the invite. Icon thanks for the Xindian info :thumbsup:

but Divea, it is not the same; on Sunday, the 15th of Lunar NY, is the only day when the lanterns go up in 200s at a time, and there are thirteen rounds to it; it is going to be GRRRRRAND. And all this only in Pingxi.If only I live in Taipei…

Good news and bad news for the folks who wanna go to Xindian:

Yes, we do have sky lanterns, you can buy them at several stands next to the bridge. However…

…due to safety reasons, menaing it has finally dawned on them that lifting those things next to the high rises might not be such a good idea, especially since the new highrise on top of the MRT is fully occupied, they do not allow you to fly them right at the deck under the bridge. You must walk either uphill towards the temple or downriver to where they fish.

Still, last night there were a couple up, even though they had a concert thinghie -with Zhu Ge-liang’s daughter as the main event. My friend tells me there were more lanterns floating after we left almost at midnight, but I did not see it. :whistle:

The good news is that it is less crowded. :smiley:

Reminder to everyone, if you want to come to Pingxi with our group, be at Taipei Zoo MRT at 1pm.

CGI, sick kids, maybe next saturday! thanks!

Hope they get well divea. Next Saturday we’ll be madly trying to finish packing boxes in time to move on Sunday.

So is the one next saturday a much scaled down version?? or still worth going to??

The organisers actually told us to avoid it coz of the crowds so should be good enough!! :slight_smile:

Wow! The moon tonight is just awesome! The pics must have turned out really nice.

You noticed the moon too!!! It was spectacular, wasn’t it?

Yep, yep.