Pinyin input for mobile phones

I used to have a trusty motorola which is to my knowledge one of the few brands in Taiwan which has the option to input Chinese using pinyin when you are writing a text message. However with my new nokia this seems an impossibility. I emailed nokia and they were not willing to help.

Does anyone know of software I could install on a symbian S60 phone which enables pinyin input?

Alternatively, is there any other way around this problem?

I use CE-Star. Allows me to switch between Pinyin, Bopomofo, and English. I could also use it for Chajie or other input methods as well, but I don’t know those.

Not free, though, but works very well on my HTC Touch Pro.

[quote=“MPenguin”]I use CE-Star. Allows me to switch between Pinyin, Bopomofo, and English. I could also use it for Chajie or other input methods as well, but I don’t know those.

Not free, though, but works very well on my HTC Touch Pro.[/quote]I don’t think there’s much out there for Symbian though. I had a look into it a while back.

[quote=“BC_01”]I used to have a trusty motorola which is to my knowledge one of the few brands in Taiwan which has the option to input Chinese using Pinyin when you are writing a text message. However with my new nokia this seems an impossibility. I emailed nokia and they were not willing to help.

Does anyone know of software I could install on a symbian S60 phone which enables Pinyin input?

Alternatively, is there any other way around this problem?[/quote]

Funnily enough nokia phones have pinyin spellings in the english dictionary (so “english words” like “rui” and “xiang” are in there). But Pinyin input, no (although phones in China must surely have it).

Does the phone not have bopomofo on the keypad? If you’re in Taiwan and know Chinese, you must know bpmf, so why don’t you just use that? It’s slow at first but you soon get the hang. Unlike some input systems, you don’t have to worry about 4 tones, on a Nokia.