Pissed it away so fast

How’s my 9 year old daughter taking to singing whatever I’m playing in the car or she’s heard on the radio. A year ago, I had this old Jimmy Buffet number reworked by Jack Johnson playing in the car, she’d heard it so many times before long she was singing:

“But I’ve done my share of smugglin’,
I’ve run my share of grass,
Made enough money to buy Miami,
But I pissed it away so fast,
Never meant to last, never meant to last.”

Pirate looks at 40

Yesterday, she was dancing around the house singing,

“I kissed a girl and I liked it,
Taste of her cherry chap-stick,
I kissed a girl and I liked it…”

by whoever

Life can be funny.

Katy Perry sings I kissed a girl. She describes herself as “one of the boys.” I dunno about that. Her two boys are looking rambunctious, though.

An interesting question. At what point does a childs unaffected simplicity (or naivety to use the French vernacular) cross over into unacceptable moral conventions, and does the learning of such lyrics merge into social conditioning.

Example one: Joshua, the son of a close friend, can sing/rap Gold Digger a Kanye West production. In the chorus Mr West isn’t saying she is a gold digger, but to all intents and purposes she doesn’t formally engage with any poor African Americans. The word Mr West uses has fallen far foul of the modern lexicon. Joshua is not aware that this word, which rhymes with trigger, is in any way anything other than just another word. It’s meaning he has not pertained, and thus he sings with gusto from his car window. Is Joshua’s mother lucky to live in a predominantly white area? Should Joshua be told what the word means? Or should mummy dearest perchance go out and buy the radio edit version? Do we stop children from hearing these words? Should we stifle their right to see the whole of the world?

Example two: Social conditioning. In 1985 a song Excitable performed by the musical outfit Amazulu proffered the sentiment: Baby you’re so excitable, I don’t care if you get me into trouble. Of course the expression getting into trouble in reality means I don’t mind if you get me pregnant. In 1985 my sister was 8. She, like young Joshua today, sang these lines with full conviction and vigor. Is it co-incidence that my sibling has since had a string of calamitous relationships with over energetic young men all of which have resulted in childbirth? Are Amazulu responsible for conditioning her to this way of thinking? Or was she genetically predisposed to becoming the plaything of men with commitment issues?

It is a source of much solid debate. Tread warily Mr Fox. You have my sympathy and my ear.

Well now that I can see what she was getting out of it.

But I used to sing:

I’m dirty, mean and mighty unclean
I’m a wanted man
Public enemy number one
Understand
So lock up your daughter n’ lock up your wife
Lock up your back door and run for your life
The man is back in town
So don’t you mess me 'round

'Cause I’m T.N.T
I’m dynamite
T.N.T
And I’ll win that fight
T.N.T
I’m a power load
T.N.T
Just watch me explode

It thrilled me like crazy to sing it, but even at 10 or 12 I knew it was highly unlikely the bloke on the farm next door was shivering in his boots.

But I’ll stake the farm that there were times you were dressed like a school boy as you sang it!

I’d also wager that you have some affection and tolerance for Mr Bon Scott which you may not have for other alcoholic meanderers.

Whilst you may not have believed yourself to be an actual stick of dynamite it is likely that the lyrics of ac/dc penetrated somewhere into your condition.

I think you have a great daughter with an imaginative mind that can be directed in many ways. Count yourself among the lucky few and take her to see all the concerts that you can handle. Buy her an instrument and books to learn to play. This is a plus - not a negative, Few people can change the words to a song and still make the melody work. She has talent. Direct it. What a great child!

So I’ve already doomed my kids since they can sing all the words to It’s A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock ‘n’ Roll)?!?

We’re all responsible for our own actions and thoughts. If you disagree, I’ll concede that your sister might have been influenced by some song the first time she got in trouble… but, after that first time, I don’t think you can pin the fault or liability on anyone but herself.

Can’t blame it on the sunshine, the moonlight OR the good times. What are we supposed to blame it on, then?

Well, we can blame it on anything we like at any given time… and I have placed the blame on occasion away from myself initially… but, I just know in every instance where I’ve been in some sort of trouble, after giving it some reflection, it was always of my own doing. I figure we’re all pretty much the same that way.

Except that sunshine actually does cause me to sneeze.

[quote=“Tigerman”]
Except that sunshine actually does cause me to sneeze.[/quote]

Yeah, and I did something pretty evil to ‘The Girl From Ipanema’ once. No-one thought my defence amusing.

yeah me too. All the time.

get it right, elegua.

“it’s a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll.”

get it right, elegua.

“it’s a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll.”[/quote]

The northern English version?

We’re all responsible for our own actions and thoughts. If you disagree, I’ll concede that your sister might have been influenced by some song the first time she got in trouble… but, after that first time, I don’t think you can pin the fault or liability on anyone but herself.[/quote]

My biological host was correct in her musings that I am not capable of playfulness. My attempted humour has been as welcome as Tonya Harding at a Fair Play awards dinner.

I shall retrieve my own outer garment.

[quote=“Fox”]“I kissed a girl and I liked it,
I kissed a girl and I liked it…”[/quote]

To be honest I have to speak up about you letting a little girl listen to this kind of garbage.

I mean, come on, Christian Rock??!?

:slight_smile:

[quote=“llary”][quote=“Fox”]“I kissed a girl and I liked it,
I kissed a girl and I liked it…”[/quote]

To be honest I have to speak up about you letting a little girl listen to this kind of garbage.

I mean, come on, Christian Rock??!?[/quote]

Yeah, as a Christian and a music lover, I always found that term to be somewhat of a contradiction in terms…

[quote=“mike_rophonechecker”]An interesting question. At what point does a childs unaffected simplicity (or naivety to use the French vernacular) cross over into unacceptable moral conventions, and does the learning of such lyrics merge into social conditioning.

Example one: Joshua, the son of a close friend, can sing/rap Gold Digger a Kanye West production. In the chorus Mr West isn’t saying she is a gold digger, but to all intents and purposes she doesn’t formally engage with any poor African Americans. The word Mr West uses has fallen far foul of the modern lexicon. Joshua is not aware that this word, which rhymes with trigger, is in any way anything other than just another word. It’s meaning he has not pertained, and thus he sings with gusto from his car window. Is Joshua’s mother lucky to live in a predominantly white area? Should Joshua be told what the word means? Or should mummy dearest perchance go out and buy the radio edit version? Do we stop children from hearing these words? Should we stifle their right to see the whole of the world?

Example two: Social conditioning. In 1985 a song Excitable performed by the musical outfit Amazulu proffered the sentiment: Baby you’re so excitable, I don’t care if you get me into trouble. Of course the expression getting into trouble in reality means I don’t mind if you get me pregnant. In 1985 my sister was 8. She, like young Joshua today, sang these lines with full conviction and vigor. Is it co-incidence that my sibling has since had a string of calamitous relationships with over energetic young men all of which have resulted in childbirth? Are Amazulu responsible for conditioning her to this way of thinking? Or was she genetically predisposed to becoming the plaything of men with commitment issues?

It is a source of much solid debate. Tread warily Mr Fox. You have my sympathy and my ear.[/quote]

Guess I’m a little more fortunate, then. My son loves to sing along to this song with me:

Dont worry about a thing,
cause every little thing gonna be all right.
Singin: dont worry about a thing,
cause every little thing gonna be all right!

Rise up this mornin,
Smiled with the risin sun,
Three little birds
Pitch by my doorstep
Singin sweet songs
Of melodies pure and true,
Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou:)

Singin: dont worry bout a thing,
cause every little thing gonna be all right.
Singin: dont worry (dont worry) bout a thing,
cause every little thing gonna be all right!

Fortunately (?) for me…the young CowBoy likes my collection of Soul Music, from the '60’s.
James Brown along with Sam & Dave being 2 of his favorites.

“Get up offa that thing,
and dance 'till you feel better,
Get up offa that thing,
and dance 'till you, sing it now!
Get up offa that thing,
and dance 'till you feel better,
Get up offa that thing,
and try to release that pressure!
Get up offa that thing,
and shake 'till you feel better,
Get up offa that thing,
and shake it, say it now!