Places on the internet where I can listen to Mandarin?

Hi,

I’m not in Taiwan yet, but I want to listen to some Mandarin just to get used to the sound of it. I’ve been listening to an online Mandarin radio station, but they mainly play pop songs, and there is no talking.

I’d really love to find a language learning site where I can “listen and repeat”, but I have been unable to find one.

I wouldn’t even mind finding an online talk radio station where I can just repeat whatever is being said after the announcer, even though I don’t know what’s being said.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I’d search Google with keywords like “Chinese” “beginning” and “audio”. Lots of Chinese teachers in the States post audio files on their Web sites for their students; those would probably be more helpful to you than a radio station which (trust me on this one) will be so fast you will not have a hope of repeating anything if you don’t speak the language already.

There used to be great site for learning Taiwanese online. I’m sure there’s something in Mandarin.

Oh, thank you. I’ll search for that.

I’ve been searching for “Chinese language learning”, which has pulled up a bunch of sites with written Chinese. I have very little faith in my ability to pronounce anything in Chinese correctly after reading a romanized spelling.

:s

Yes, I know the radio isn’t doing much for me, but if I’m just cleaning my apartment or whatever, it isn’t the worst thing in the world to have on in the background. :blush:

you could try www.pinyinpractice.com if you are just getting started.

Thank you! I AM just getting started, and I wouldn’t have thought to search for “pinyin.” :notworthy:

chinese.rutgers.edu/

If it comes up with “page can not be found” error message, just hit the link on the error page. It does it to me about half the time.

Through the links on that pinyin site I found this:

wku.edu/~yuanh/AudioChinese/teachers.htm

Useful Chinese phrases for the classroom. Neato. :slight_smile:

You could try this…
bbc.co.uk/languages/chinese/real_chinese/
It’s really basic stuff, has audio, pinyin, english translation…etc.

Good luck!

here is a language lab and online classroom (mandarin news and news script & pinyin) on this website

panda-greatwall.com/componen … temid,143/

media lab: (news in mandarin Chinese)

panda-greatwall.com/componen … Itemid,77/

it also provides some survival Chinese sentences, tutorials on how to write Chinese (flash animation and pronunciation)

enjoy

Try my site:
chinawestexchange.com

It’s free. Has all sounds in Chinese online to play through your web browser and a few other goodies.

You could always tune in to ICRT :laughing:

(Note: Entirely facetious answer. Not intended for serious contemplation. I wouldn’t recommend anyone actually try listening to ICRT :laughing:)

Thanks everyone. These are all a big help. Please feel free to post any more you come across. :rainbow:

Voice of America has some streaming audio clips based on old (circa 1996) news stories:

ocrat.com/ocrat/voa/

You could also try the BBC’s Chinese service. They’ve only got a few programs up in Mandarin and a couple in Cantonese, but they’re on-demand and real-world, so they could be useful.

98.1 has a decent website. There is the national station, but it isn’t very good.

http://www.csulb.edu/~txie/ccol/content.htm - Conversational Chinese Online

I’m not really qualified to comment on how good this site is, but it does have sound recordings, pinyin and traditional characters together. Printable (PDF) versions of the lessons can also be downloaded.

cpt.mtc.ntnu.edu.tw/tma2/

this is CPT.Can test your Chinese degree.
hope your chinese getting improve.

Joanne

[quote=“violet”]Hi,

I’m not in Taiwan yet, but I want to listen to some Mandarin just to get used to the sound of it. I’ve been listening to an online Mandarin radio station, but they mainly play pop songs, and there is no talking.

I’d really love to find a language learning site where I can “listen and repeat”, but I have been unable to find one.

I wouldn’t even mind finding an online talk radio station where I can just repeat whatever is being said after the announcer, even though I don’t know what’s being said.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?[/quote]