🇫🇷 France | Places to See in Paris

https://www.reddit.com/r/france/comments/e9a379/ça_se_passe_bien_gare_du_nord/?st=k42l72rw&sh=b44f5ce9

Gare du Nord yesterday

1 Like

It’s smells.

It’s a beautiful city. Probably the most beautiful city I’ve been to. But I wished I knew some French, I feel really limited here without it. French food imo is so so. I like some but I don’t like a lot of it.

I hear ambulances and police cars throughout the day in packs going from place to place.

Yes. Very cold and a bit windy. But we got lucky with not a lot of rain.

1 Like

Very good there was no rain, lucky youse two.

So has the help in France been snooty?

Yes. Very stereotypically so haha. It’s hard to eat at good smaller restaurants without French. If the waiters all speak perfect English unless you’re at a fine dining place, you are at a tourist trap.

2 Likes

Try Spanish instead!

1 Like

Yo hablo espanol.

And it doesn’t help that the recipe descriptions are all cryptic. Resisting an urge to post Key and Peele French restaurant, again. Ok I cracked:

If you see a Lebanese place it’s worth checking out, they just bring out plate after plate after plate of starter size portions untill you are full, no need to order. Well that’s what happens here anyway :

Also highly recommended are moules frites

3 Likes

There’s been news of people fainting in the subway. Take care of yourself.

Meanwhile in station Châtelet:
https://twitter.com/Antoine_Lvq/status/1204678689495142401

2 Likes

Hopefully we can fly out tomorrow. Some thoughts for anyone else going.

The catacombs were a bit underwhelming tbh. Was pretty short and there wasn’t all that much to see. It was cool, but not anywhere as cool as I imagined.

The best was Versailles and The Louvre. I wish I had more time in Versailles, an entire day. I would suggest a guided tour for an entire day, definitely worth it. I’ve never seen anything quite like it. Unfortunately it was raining, windy and freezing cold so I didn’t go into the gardens.

French Food was underwhelming. Even fine dining was not as amazing as I thought it was going to be and extremely expensive. It’s extremely difficult to find good authentic food, especially if your French is limited. Most places just seem like tourist restaurants and basically served a bunch of Italian food (maybe the French say they invented it first) and a bunch of food from different places. I never Managed to eat anywhere for under 30€ Per person even at the cheap places.

Even the Asian restaurants were so so. For some weird reason Chinese restaurants also serve Thai food a lot of times and Vietnamese restaurants also serve Chinese/Cantonese food. The best meal I had was a Texas BBQ place, the owner must have been from Texas because it was actually pretty good and authentic to Texas tastes.

1 Like

Wish someone told me this before my visit. I’m feeling down since my visit. What a shit hole. Someone should give the marketing team their weight in gold.

2 Likes

Did you visit recently?

1 Like

After visits 2 more times since this trip. Paris to me is overrated. Nothing particularly amazing about it besides the museums. And I really didn’t feel very safe.

Food was ok, there was good stuff but overall felt underwhelming. The only thing that stands out is the pastries but I’m not a huge fan of pastries normally so it’s not enough for me to be wowed by it.

1 Like

Yeah last week.

The metro flashbacks are the worst. Homeless everywhere and the smell ughh. Pantheon was the best part. Louvre is closed, Grand palais is closed and Notre Dame was lost to French Cha bu duo.

1 Like

Yeah, people pissing everywhere on the street gave me flashbacks of China.

Did you make the trip to Versailles? Pretty remarkable palace.