Places to Stay in Kenting

My girlfriend and I are taking a much-needed vacation from school. We were thinking about heading down to Kenting National Park and we’re looking for a relatively cheap place to stay. We’ve been searching all over the internet and have found three options.

1. HiHostel - Gives a fair price, but sketchy on the details
  2. Taiwan Surf Shack - Information on their site is hard to sort though (seem to focus more on personal life than company information)
  3. Hengchungking Hotel - A little pricey, but seems to be in a good area (Maobitou-Close to Baisha White Sand Beach)

Has anyone stayed at any of these places or know of anywhere good to stay in Kenting. We want to be close to a beach (Baisha) and nightlife.

Any suggestions or comments would help/
Thanks

If you stay near Baisha you won’t be near the nightlife on the main strip in Kenting and will have to drive back to your hotel. Not a good idea as you are likely to be drunk.

The strip off the main road in Kenting has a row of small nice hotels you can get cheaply during the week. Just a 1 minute walk to the beach or up to the main road for nightlife. I usually stay here. Never bother remembering names. If one is full go to the next.

What’s your budget and what are you looking for?

[quote=“Mucha Man”]If you stay near Baisha you won’t be near the nightlife on the main strip in Kending and will have to drive back to your hotel. Not a good idea as you are likely to be drunk.

The strip off the main road in Kending has a row of small nice hotels you can get cheaply during the week. Just a 1 minute walk to the beach or up to the main road for nightlife. I usually stay here. Never bother remembering names. If one is full go to the next.

What’s your budget and what are you looking for?[/quote]

MM are you allowed on the main beach these days? For the longest time they had access to the beach only for those staying in a couple of beach front hotels. Good news if they talked the mafia down from this nonsense.

It was never a mafia thing. The park negotiated with the Chateau giving them special access to the beach in exchange for them maintaining the beach. You were always allowed to enter the beach from the Chateau grounds (for a fee or if you ate there) but the hotel acted in bad faith and the guards often prevented people from going in.

This is changed now and the beach is open to the public. Last time I was there a great little campsite right on the main beach was opening. It was just off Dawan rd across from a parking lot. Dawan is the road you turn right onto at the McDonalds as you drive into Kenting.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]It was never a mafia thing. The park negotiated with the Chateau giving them special access to the beach in exchange for them maintaining the beach. You were always allowed to enter the beach from the Chateau grounds (for a fee or if you ate there) but the hotel acted in bad faith and the guards often prevented people from going in.

This is changed now and the beach is open to the public. Last time I was there a great little campsite right on the main beach was opening. It was just off Dawan Rd across from a parking lot. Dawan is the road you turn right onto at the McDonalds as you drive into Kending.[/quote]

cool…I remember they were selling tickets to go on the beach but you couldn’t swim…just walk… :loco:

that campground sounds like it might be the location spring scream used in its 3rd fourth and fifth iterations…that’s even cooler news…

There are three of us and we are looking at spending 600NT each a night max. Do you happen to remember directions to the main strip? Maybe I can look for the names of some of these places online.

We would like to be close to the night life and the beach, but is there something that we should absolutely see/do when we’re down there?

Your budget might be a bit tight on a weekend. Try Hotel California on the main strip. They have 4 bed dorm rooms. Always ask for a discount in Taiwan.

08 886 1588
www.hotelca.idv.tw

You can also try Qingshan Hostel (墾丁民宿青山小築), a Minsu off of Dawan Rd No. 3 . Lane 120 Dawan Rd. Kending. Quiet place, convenient location. Don’t expect much English to be spoken.

屏東縣恆春鎮墾丁里大灣路120巷3號

[quote=“Mucha Man”]
This is changed now and the beach is open to the public. Last time I was there a great little campsite right on the main beach was opening. It was just off Dawan Rd across from a parking lot. Dawan is the road you turn right onto at the McDonalds as you drive into Kending.[/quote]

I looked for it last time but could not find it, all I saw was the usual parking lots etc. Do they have a sign up now?

[quote=“Mr He”][quote=“Muzha Man”]

I looked for it last time but could not find it, all I saw was the usual parking lots etc. Do they have a sign up now?[/quote]

Don’t know. I haven’t been there for a while. But it is/was behind the parking lot, right on the edge of the beach. You can’t see it though until you are right on top of it. Surrounded by bamboo fences if I recal.

http://uukt.idv.tw/inn/njh.htm

The Tourist Inn I have stayed at at least half a dozen times. Its cheap, basic and clean, its right in the crease of Kenting’s main drag, dead centre: (08) 8861310.
I used to turn up there at two in the morning and the old man would be sleeping behind his front desk. it was convenient and the family there were very friendly and would even lend me their scooter. That was when they would recognise me and long before the tens of other guest houses sprouted up all over the place and loud Americans would turn up and leave their empty beer bottles all over the beach, but nowadays there are millions of whiteys in Kenting and the days of locals coming up and asking for your picture with them are long gone. Sigh!

If you only went to one beach in Kenting which beach would it be?

That’s difficult for me as I’m sick of swimming and I only go to view the scenery. I guess I like the volcanic front near to the lighthouse.

I went to Kending for the first time earlier this year, its horrible IMHO. Its like going to Blackpool but without the theme park.

Thanks to everyone for the help, but after all this we think it might be better to check out Magong and check out some of the smaller islands around Taiwan.

My personal favourite place on the bigger lump is Taidong.

The city, or the county? I find the city dirty and unimproved. I guess when you spend all your money on the EPA building there is not much left for well, EPA work.

I decided to continue this on a different thread because it’s about the North Sea Islands and not Kenting.

HERE

The city, or the county? I find the city dirty and unimproved. I guess when you spend all your money on the EPA building there is not much left for well, EPA work.

[/quote]

Of course I mean the county. I don’t like any Taiwan City. They’re all a bit too dumpy for my liking.

Good man. Have you been to Luye? Taiwanese countryside as it was meant to be.