šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§ UK - London | Places to visit in London

I hear the baked beans are good.

Traditional British food tends to be heavy on meat and dough. But when done right it can be absolutely fantastic.

My favorite place to get good local meals is The Duke, a pub in Bloomsbury. Then again, Bloomsbury is my usual haunt, so Iā€™m most familiar with it. Russell Square is the nearest Tube station.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d1948117-Reviews-The_Duke-London_England.html

Likewise, my favorite pub for grabbing a pint at is also in Bloomsbury: The Lamb.

A more prominent but historic place to get local fare at is Cittie of Yorke, in Holborn:

And if you want to drink pints at a place thatā€™s been around since the last days of Henry VIII, thereā€™s Ye Olde Mitreā€¦ if you can find it!!

1 Like

Like what? I havenā€™t had too good of an experience with British food. But maybe Iā€™m just not eating the right stuff at the right restaurant. But so far Iā€™ve found it rather blend and boring.

Thanks for the recommendations. Iā€™ll probably head to one of those places when the lady goes shopping for the day. Any places that you think would be more romantic to try? I donā€™t think she would enjoy going to the pub as much as me haha.

As for the jellied eels, they are meaty, and if you like Japanese unagi, you will like them; they taste very similar. Same genus: Anguilla. The jelly is just the stock they were cooked in, chilled, so the flavor is like fish soup. Nobody will force you to eat them, of course.

Pie and mash is tasty and really local. I like it sprinkled with traditional chillied vinegar.

-Wash your mouth out with soap and water!

If you want to see a musical Iā€™ve heard good things about Book of Mormon, Hamilton (more expensive), and Wicked. Iā€™ve seen Lion King and it was really good too.

I heard they are not that great? Burger and lobsters looks like a nice spot though.

Go to St. John, as I posted earlier.

1 Like

Itā€™s really good. Order lobster roll.

@_Lilith see I told you it was good!!! I want to see it.

I know quite a few ppl whoā€™ve seen it and they all say itā€™s really funny.

1 Like

Eggs Benedict is American.

Or the lion king. You canā€™t go wrong with the lion king imo. Iā€™ve always wanted to see that.

I do like Japanese unagi. Iā€™ve never heard of jellied eels before for some reason. Maybe Iā€™ll like it.

I saw it in October or November last year and I was really surprised by how good it was.

I totally thought it was British lol.

1 Like

I agree with the recommendations for Burger and Lobster. A great place for a quality meal with your wife.

Romantic? I found this article:

1 Like

Creme Brulee is generally regarded as British. Originated as English Burnt Cream.

Thereā€™s a great steak place near Oxford circus , and an amaZing seafood place.

If you are based in London you would probably make your girlfriend happier with a day trip somewhere like Canterbury, still pubsbut very different in style.

Kew Gardensā€¦best place ever.