Plan to stay, thinking of Chinese study and work

While no natural spoken language is “intrinsically” any more difficult than any other (after all, kids learn their native language at comparable speeds regardless of whether that language is arabic, chinese or english), I suspect (surely research has been done on this?) that mastery of character based writing systems is, as you say, “not the same as other languages” and is actually intrinsically more difficult i.e more time consuming to learn, even as a first language.

Taking the arbitary goal of comfortably reading literary novels in the target language, I agree that most native speakers of English could do that in several West European languges in the time it took to be able to do that in Chinese. Personally, I found even Russian to be a cinch in comparison with Chinese.

As for learning at home, I really feel that if you have the right resources and inundate yourself with suitable audio and accompanying texts, you can learn with vastly more intensity than in a classroom setting. You can hone your pronunciation, learn hundreds and thousands of characters systematically and intelligently and get to the point where you can read authentic texts and listen to authentic audio much quicker than in a classroom setting. While this style of learning isnt for everyone, if your goal is to go from zero to HSK 6 in less than a year and after that to actually “begin” learning Chinese, including the glorious classical language, I dont know any other way of learning a language to that level in that timeframe.

i think you could get an EE job in taiwan. assuming you are a competent PCB engineer (designer? allegro? orcad? pads? pads tends to be used most in taiwan/china) and can do both schematic design and layout, you’ll definitely have opportunities even without knowing chinese. this is particularly true for US companies that have a branch in taiwan. firmware is also in demand. getting an MS from UCSD (a globally top school) and US xp will put you above most candidates here. keep in mind that if you aren’t on an expat package, salaries here are far lower than in the US. expect at most 40k-50k USD equiv (which is a very large salary in taiwan and you’ll be able to live very well), and more likely in the 30k-40k range (which is also a very good salary) given your background.

1 Like

learning chinese is a total waiste of time, anyone Chinese worth talking to, must have learned english.

Not so on Chinese literacy. Google “cold character reading”.

Yea such as your plumber.

2 Likes

And the cute girl at McDonalds that my wife doesn’t seem to like.

1 Like