Planning a romantic night out in Taipei

I was not sure where to put this post…but anyway here it is:

I am planning a romantic night out in Taipei with a lady that I meet occasionally. I have never stayed in a hotel in Taipei, so that is the first hurdle. I need to find somewhere where it would not break the bank (less than 1500 NT/night possible for a half decent place?)

What about catching a show or concert or something else that only Taipei can offer…restaurants/bars etc etc.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Hey man,

1500 is too cheap for romantic romance. Your best bets are probably the Brother Hotel or the Grand Hotel, both around 2000-2500 and not bad value. The Grand Hotel is, well, you know…grand! They also have shows including a revue with a topless component, just about 15 minutes of titties mixed in with a lot of other stuff, and it’s fairly classy, as far as these things go, or so I’ve heard.

Romantic dining? Perhaps Alleycats in Huashan. Nice relaxed atmosphere, and not excessively expensive.

If you want a pretty cheap hotel then the one above Luxy is pretty reasonable. I believe it’s 1000+NT.

If you don’t like heading out then Dan Shui is a pretty cool place to spent some time. Good food, sea side, ride bikes or those little motorcycles. Good times.

[quote=“BigJohn”]Hey man,

1500 is too cheap for romantic romance. Your best bets are probably the Brother Hotel or the Grand Hotel, both around 2000-2500 and not bad value. The Grand Hotel is, well, you know…grand! [/quote]

Yeah, but watch it, they used to, at least, require that any couples registering, or opposite sex visitors, show a marriage certificate or they’d be denied admission.
That famous KMT morality, don’t you know…

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“BigJohn”]Hey man,

1500 is too cheap for romantic romance. Your best bets are probably the Brother Hotel or the Grand Hotel, both around 2000-2500 and not bad value. The Grand Hotel is, well, you know…grand! [/quote]

Yeah, but watch it, they used to, at least, require that any couples registering, or opposite sex visitors, show a marriage certificate or they’d be denied admission.
That famous KMT morality, don’t you know…[/quote]
If they’re married, why would they want a hotel (unless they were travellers) or am I stating the boringly obvious?

Some married couple still live with their parents, so may want a bit of extra privacy

For your budget you can spend a couple of hours in a very cool place with like this one: http://www.in-stone.com.tw/

This one is a little bit far in the Wenshan district, but I’m sure you can find similar ones in the city.

[quote=“divea”][quote=“the chief”][quote=“BigJohn”]Hey man,

That famous KMT morality, don’t you know…[/quote]
If they’re married, why would they want a hotel (unless they were travellers) or am I stating the boringly obvious?[/quote]

Or sometimes just to spice things up?

Can anyone recommend a decent restaurant around Taipei 101 that is relatively romantic, quiet and reasonably priced to take a date?

I am looking at most $500-$600 a person, excluding the cost of liquor.

Thanks!

I recommend this one: http://www.dozoizakaya.com/

What about something that’s not Japanese? I am allergic to shellfish and not entirely comfortable eating raw fish all night.

They have delicious fried fishes there, and meat too if my memory doesn’t fail me.

(that’s the only cool place I know around the 101, sorry)

I can’t think of anywhere in Taipei City that I would consider romantic for $1,500 or less so how about taking a train to somewhere on the north-east coast? There are lots of comfortable min-su accomodations in places like Fu-Long and I’m sure you would have a more romantic time at a beach house than in a low-end Taipei hotel.

If you have to be in Taipei City then you can maybe try here: http://www.dayrentking.com.tw/

I think if you just flash her a photo of llary’s avatar and say: “I’m from Arizona, where the cacti ain’t the only thing we grow big, baby!” that would be pretty romantic.

Seriously, Dozo is an excellent place. Take her there.

All right, Dozo it is. I haven’t been able to plan a good date though. What else is there to do? Movies are out of the question because they are generally bad places to go for the first few dates in my book.

you can check this blog hungryintaipei.blogspot.com/