Plantar fasciitis

I find that tai chi chuan (taijiquan) is useful for practicing how to walk and shift weight softly in this way. Tai chi walking is sometimes called “cat walking” for this reason. And in Taipei at least, there are lots of early-morning practice groups in the parks.

2 Likes

I continue to struggle with it on my right foot. I’m in Hanoi now so been getting foot massages but not helping much. But I also have to walk around a lot.

Super frustrating

I bought this Heel Wrap recently for both my feet and wearing it now…it really helps. Try getting this from a Sporting Goods shop or online.

1 Like

I do not think massages help. In the same way, acupuncture is not great. The usual suspects will help: Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation (RICE). Also, take anti-inflammatory medicine.

If you are up and about it is unlikely to get any better. You need rest.

1 Like

It’s difficult with my current situation. It’s also a weird situation as if it’s like elbow it’s easy to rest day to day. But I need to actually walk :joy: I’m also 95kg which maybe why it’s also not helping. Im not fat but I’m just naturally more athletic built and tall.

You can get some good carbon fiber insoles for this ,from the USA. They work well. Use them about three months and it will likely disappear

1 Like

I saw a TV documentary recently about high-intensity walking that says that very fast-paced, wide-stride walking, even at separate short intervals of 1 minute each, has a cumulative effect of increasing leg musculature if a target of 60 cumulative minutes per week is reached. So I’ve recently been trying that.

However, unfortunately, the recommended stride for this high-intensity walking is to land on the heel, because you’re supposed to swing your leg out as far as it can go when taking each rapid step. It seems difficult to try to land on the forefoot/midfoot when doing high-intensity, wide-stride walking.

Now, I do notice that my leg muscles get sore after just 1 minute of high-intensity walking, which is good. The documentary said that short bursts of high-intensity walking are better than longer but low-intensity walking (or, I assume, jogging?). But I hope that the heel strikes won’t aggravate my flat feet. Time will tell, or I’ll need to figure out some weird-looking gait in order to be able to land on the forefoot/midfoot while simultaneously swinging the leg out forward as far as possible.

1 Like