Planting a new vineyard in Taiwan, French wine & French rice wines

Hey, I am a French producer in a family making red wine in Bordeaux region of France for 200 years and I plan to plant a vineyard to make a quality wine in the Central Taiwan.
I also make a French rice wine from Provence rice in Provence. It has medals, prices, sold in many Michelin restaura

8 Likes

I pushed the wrong button … Message was sent before I finished it.
I was saying … yes … my French rice wine is sold in France and Asian countries like Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Macau or China but not yet in Taiwan. When it will be possible to travel again, I would like to make a tasting of them in Taipei & Taichung eventually.
So I look for a place to do that. Any idea?
I speak different languages, but my chinese until now is still quite poor.

1 Like

Hope you can make good wine, as it will hard to grow the same grapes well here.

You will need a temperature and humidity controlled greenhouse. Taiwan does not have a mediterranian climate, but a subtropical climate. Meaning most the year it will be too hot for grapes to grow well. If you got a greenhouse it will be cooking inside at over 50C as the greenhouse traps heat, killing plants unless you have air conditioning inside. It will not be cheap to do except small scale.

Consider indoor hydroponics.

1 Like

Thank you for your kind concern.
I have made a deep survey. I know the difficulties. It looks good so far.

Taichung wines have been winning awards.

I beleive that they are grown in Nantou region which is less hot.

1 Like

Do any posters work at the National Kaohsiung University of Hospitality and Tourism? When the semester starts you could put the the OP in touch with Chen Chien-hao.

No, I don’t need green house. But you are right that Taiwan is too hot and too humid in general. But, altitude will decrease the temperature, and I found a microclimate for the humidity.

1 Like

Thank you, but I don’t really understand what you mean.

Chen Chien-hao is a Taiwanese award winning wine maker, so he will know more than the posters on here about where to grow wine in Taiwan. If a poster works at the same university as he does they could put him in touch with you.

3 Likes

Of course, it would be very nice to talk to someone who is already successful in Taiwan. I didn’t recall his name butI had seen him on Youtube & articles. But I didn’t have the opportunity to be introduced to him.

Are mountain lands cheap? I am pretty sure they’re worthless to developers (watch out during a typhoon, landslides and all that).

Summer can be dry like this past one, but it’s because we haven’t had typhoons. If there is a typhoon mountains become a death trap.

Bingo!

It’s winter break at the moment until February 22nd.

Also, bear in mind that university email servers are a bit crap in that they get loads of junk mail, so be very clear in your subject line that you’re in the wine trade.

Out of interest, do you know a guy in the trade called David Thomas?

If you want to talk to university professors try going to their office hour if you know when it is.

Don’t bother emailing, Taiwanese never ever answer them.

Tricky if one is in France during Covid.

Mountains have many great microclimates perfect for grapes. Working through the issues of buying land, renting and most importantly water is the hard part. Most mountain spots are hard for water, and many require concrete storage which is only allowed to be built with registration and normally with certain companies. Waiting for the gov to allow can take aminth to a year. Or hire locals to bring pipes in. Many areas you only have water certain days, deepnding on the area.

Easiest would be to grow somewhere that is already developed as a foreigner out of country will be paying outrageous prices to get it done through a local.

Good luck though, certainly possible.

2 Likes

Price of the land is a missing point in my plan.
Thank you for reminding me about typhoons, landslides etc … It is well set in my mind.

I know about the past dry summer and the no typhoon 2020 year. It is excellent for my project of course, but I know that I can’t rely on only one year climate, even though it is a trend due to climate change.

Ok, I keep it in mind. Thank you.