Plantinga's Math Problem

I have an app

1 Like

So, it seems the most rational position is a stoic agnosticism. I think, maybe.**

** yes, thatā€™s the joke :wink:

An app that gives you the head.

Interesting.

2 Likes

No thatā€™s not gonna work.

the problem is the same with the simple coin one.

1 Like

Is it configurable to change the coin to a 20NT? Would then solve two threads on here simultaneously.

5 Likes

The paid version of this app has more coins, mostly US (and two face from batman). No NT and no custom option, it seems

A different app might give the option, though. I just use this because sometimes a coin toss is an easy way to make a decision and I donā€™t always have a real one in the pocket

Thatā€™s not what itā€™s saying. itā€™s saying if the probability any belief is .5, not 8f the probability of any one belief. Very different things.

My belief is oo posts many things from books that he doesnā€™t take the time to think critically about. :wink:

like this. :wink:

and that. it says 1000 in your picture. not to mention, wtf is the difference between 75/100 and 750/1000 in probability, so who cares?

1 Like

If yu are measuring coin tosses, the probability of getting 75 heads out of 100 tries is massively higher than getting 750 heads out of 1000 tosses.

5 Likes

Yeah I originally got 5/16 as a wrong answer based on getting 3 out of 4.

A wrong answer to what? Iā€™m sure not the question in the OP.

2 Likes

Yeah. Just do it 4 times and scale up.

I guess Plantinga is trying to make some kind of point but not sure what. It seems obvious to me that if your beliefs have a .5 probability of being true as a rule, you have no hope of ever approaching .75 reliability.

3 Likes

Yes, thatā€™s exactly it. He defines reliable as .75 or better.

In addition to @Mick 's solution, this is how I computed it in Python.

import numpy as np
from scipy.stats import binom
k,n,p=750,1000,.5
answer=0
for i in range(k,n+1):
answer=answer+binom.pmf(i,n,p)

print(answer)
6.73812825301905e-59

This is how I originally tried to compute it.

There are 5 ways to get .75 or better.
TTTT
TTTF
TTFT
TFTT
FTTT

There 2^4=16 possible ways.

So the probability of getting .75 or better is 5/16.

2 Likes

Python only stores 16 places for floating point numbers. If you tried to use the cumulative density function, youā€™ll get a wrong answer.

1-binom.cdf(k,n,p)
Out[38]: 1.1102230246251565e-16

I think what TG is saying is ā€œwell, dā€™uh.ā€ Whatā€™s the point? Yes, if youā€™re not any more right than a random coin flip on anything, youā€™re cognitive faculties arenā€™t reliableā€¦ and?

1 Like

Kind of, but Iā€™m sure Plantinga must be going somewhere with it, and the OP was really purely about the math. Iā€™d try to figure it out but itā€™s hard sledding reading him. I used to be more up for this kind of stuff but Iā€™ve lost interest a little.

1 Like

He argued that if naturalism and evolution were both true, then our beliefs are indeed wrong half the time.

Iā€™m assuming itā€™s not a direct ā€˜if x then yā€™ as you shorthanded above, so what does he base that argument on?

2 Likes

ā€œonce one admits that oneā€™s cognitive faculties are unreliable all of oneā€™s beliefs are epistemically undermined, including oneā€™s beliefs in naturalism and evolutionā€

Very interesting and I do not understand much of this. Perhaps the belief in naturalism is simply an evolutionary advantage.