Play an Ipod thru a stereo system w/o a USB port?

I asked at 3C - they were clueless as usual.

I’ve got an older, very nice Yamaha stereo system that I DON’T want to replace (that was 3C’s immediate suggestion!) and which doesn’t have a tape cassette player. I thought I could use one of those FM radio thingies that broadcasts your Ipod music onto the radio, but all the ones I’ve seen are designed for car stereos and plug into the cigarette lighter. Do they make such a thing that’s battery-operated, or is there a different option?

So are you trying to do this in your car or at home?

At home is really easy.

Just need one of these:

Patented award winning GENIus Irish Stu will be along in a moment to ask if you have stereo RCA inputs (like the red and black ones).
If so, you can purchase cables that plug into yer iPod’s headphone jack and go out to the stereo plugs.
That’s what I have.

ETA And there he is now…

[quote=“Vay”]I asked at 3C - they were clueless as usual.

I’ve got an older, very nice Yamaha stereo system that I don’t want to replace (that was 3C’s immediate suggestion!) and which doesn’t have a tape cassette player. I thought I could use one of those FM radio thingies that broadcasts your Ipod music onto the radio, but all the ones I’ve seen are designed for car stereos and plug into the cigarette lighter. Do they make such a thing that’s battery-operated, or is there a different option?[/quote]
The iPod has a 3.5mm headphone socket, doesn’t it? Get a cable that has a stereo 3.5mm plug on one end, and a pair of RCA plugs on the other. Plug them into the back of your stereo system - the inputs there are probably labeled “Aux”. Make sure you select the correct input with the buttons on the front of the stereo. Turn the iPod’s volume right down to zero. Start playing a track, and then gradually turn the volume up a bit. Not too loud - you could possibly bust a bit of your stereo. It should never sound distorted. Once you’ve got an OK level, remember that and use it from that point on. If you want the volume louder or softer, use the volume control on the stereo system.

[Edit: yes, the cable I meant is the kind Irishstu just posted a pic of.]

Thanks! You guys have never failed me yet!