⛳ Golf | Playing golf in Taipei/Taiwan

So recently I’ve been getting into golf. My friends and I live in Taipei, but we’ve been taking the HSR down to Hsinchu to play courses down there, generally from around 2500-3000nt each for a round. It’s pretty hard to find decent information in English about gold courses in the area, does anyone know and can recommend any around Taipei that aren’t too expensive? We’ve also been hitting the pitch and putt down in Xindian, I heard somewhere that there was a better one in the Taipei area, but again, I’ve not been able to find any information about it, can anyone help me with this? Cheers!

There’s a driving range over near the Costco in Neihu and also one by the ferris wheel in Dazhi.

You can also use Google maps and search “高爾夫練習場” and I’m sure some will show up.

Oh, there’s driving ranges all over the city, you can see the netting miles off. Pitch and putt is a different beast, it’s a short golf course made up of par 3s, I’ve tried googling different things with 高爾夫, but I haven’t really had much luck and my Chinese is patchy at best. Thanks for the response anyhow.

Just for my info where’s the pitch and the putt in Xindian?

Right here - https://goo.gl/maps/qsNw8FuzjoL2

It’s around 700nt on weekdays, 800-900nt on weekends, or you can buy a book of 10 tickets for 4500nt.

1 Like

Cheers

What is golfing like in Taiwan? I have been wanting to get in a round or two, something to do when nothing else is going on. Except for the driving ranges here, I have not swung a club on a proper course in 10 years. I have heard the attitude towards the game is different here.

I guess the Taiwanese tend to take the game quite serious and have no time for tomfoolery, which is fine. But, one of the draws to me is a nice long walk that goes along with the game. I have heard, at most courses at least, that that is a no-no and carts and caddies are mandatory, I am guessing to keep the game moving along.

Experiences? Good, bad, well-kept courses?

I’ve only ever played golf here in Taiwan, so I’m not sure I can comment too much here, but I’ll do my best. Carts and caddies do seem to be mandatory, at least they are for us, I’ve occasionally seem people out on the course without them but they must have a special arrangement I guess? Saying that, I still still mostly walk the course anyway, and let the cart carry my bag. From what I’ve been told from my playing buddies courses here ere on the difficult side here, narrow fairways and unreceptive greens, and it’s more expensive than in North America. But golf is golf…and it’s essentially the same game everywhere.

If you’re looking for people to play with, I’ve heard good reports about the golfers society of Taipei, if i didn’t have a regular foursome I’d be tempted to join those guys, they seem friendly and knowledgeable.

Thanks. Sounds like the courses try to keep you honest. Sound like the city courses back in the states. Unforgiving fairways and either super slow, or super fast greens are, pardon the pun, par for the course.

Overall, sounds like it is worth a shot.

Check out international golf society of taipei. They play regularly and have tournaments.
http://www.taiwan-golf.com/

I’m trying to get back into golf in Taiwan and targeted ads are making it really inviting.

Depending where in Taipei you are, closest to the city would either be in

Danshui:

New Tamshui course condition not great but there are pretty nice views
https://www.google.com/maps/place/New+Tamsui+Golf+Club/@25.1394071,121.4621215,14.14z/data=!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x3442afbe42037279:0x46cbaad1b7fb5fee!2sNew+Tamsui+Golf+Club!8m2!3d25.149326!4d121.467648!3m4!1s0x3442afbe42037279:0x46cbaad1b7fb5fee!8m2!3d25.149326!4d121.467648

Or Linkou (too many to really post links)

Bali is also not too far away

In general, course conditions really sort of pale in comparison to your typical course in the US.

Price wise, NT2500-3000 is pretty standard… I can’t really think of any places off the top of my head that would be cheaper (not saying they don’t exist though). I think ~NT3000 is sort of reasonable when you factor the cart and caddy. Problem is you don’t have the option to cheap out and NOT pay for cart and caddy (like you would in the US where you could walk a muni course for ~$30).

One other big difference is if you’re a solo golfer. Might be possible, but I’ve never seen a solo golfer here

How fast is the play here? Any chance of a round going under 3.5hrs? Or are we looking at something closer to 5hrs on average?

I think the only way you get a round in at 3.5hrs is in the middle of winter and it’s raining (ie. nobody else on the course - I’ve done that once, literally NOBODY else but myself and playing partner)

Generally assume it’ll be 5hrs. Some courses can be really bad about overbooking… had a really bad experience at North Sea a while back

From my experience that courtesy of letting faster players play through is relatively uncommon as well

1 Like

Also what I’ve heard…I might go mad during a 5hr round with no playing through.

Does anyone play golf in the taipei area and know a good spot to practice short game if any? I found one near Taoyuan but it’s too far. I’m assuming that any short game practice facilities twill cost $$$. Also would be interested in a grass range to hit balls off of.

This might work for you. Not sure the quality of the greens, but it’s free.

2 Likes

They used to have a pitch and putt in Xindian, but it closed down last year. That’s it for golf in the city apart from driving ranges. At Xin Dan Shui golf course, you pay at the start and then off you go in your cart, you can probably find somewhere to camp out and practice short shots and as long as you don’t get in anyone else’s way you’ll probably be ok.

topgolf

I was also going to recommend Zhuifeng Golf Driving Range.

Although it is not a driving range as it says. It is for short game with higher irons, pitching wedge, some putting, etc.

There’s no order of play or anything, just pick an open spot and start knocking balls around. There’s little covered area where people sit and chat.