Playing Pokeman Go while cycling

I swear this weekend I saw people cycling while playing Pokemon Go. They are cycling slowly and looking at their smartphone screens intensely. I have never seen people doing that before. Combined with people stopped in the middle of the bike path still on their bikes doing the same thing, I think PokemonGo is going to annoy the **** outta me while cycling.

Yeah this doesn’t sound good for cyclists. I saw a lot of people on youbikes using it. I have my weekly 50km ride tomorrow night and I’m just afraid of riding behind someone who suddenly just stops.

How I see it, it’s mostly bad, but there is some good coming out of it.

People are getting outside and getting some exercise, granted they know nothing of bike path etiquette and to mind their surroundings, but we can stop criticizing the locals for having a life that ONLY revolves around work.

The bad, as we all know it, is the riverside paths will be overcrowded and going anything past 25-30kmh will be dangerous to ourselves and others.

I would suggest everyone to ride early in the morning before work to avoid the PokeGo crowd. I suspect most of Pokemon trainers to be late sleepers and late risers, not the opposite.

Another suggestion would be, pick your riverside routes accordingly. Yesterday, I was on the riverside stretch just north of the Song Shan Airport and Highway No.1 and there seemed to not be too many trainers out there. Maybe because it’s not easily accessible via public transportation! I expect Da Dao Cheng and the Gong Guan area to be overcrowded. Stay safe!

I saw the same thing, but with people on scooters!
If it continues like that, I guess it won’t be long until we hear about the first death caused by the game…

I guess we should be worried about people driving cars while playing it. hope the bus drivers don’t start playing while driving.

We should be worried about the regular zombies, zombies riding scooters (with zombie girlfriend) and zombies driving cars.

I reaaaally hope zombies don’t start driving buses though…

1 Like

Just another reminder to everyone riding on the riverside parks in the late afternoon and evening. You can complain all you want, but the PokeGo craze and zombies won’t go away anytime soon. Best way is to avoid and be prepared.

• slow down
  • unclip before getting into the crowd
  • take off the head phones or lower your volume

Try to plan your route around riverside sections that are close to MRT stations or have narrow bike paths.

This is also a good time to venture into the some of the lit mountain roads!

The area where Rainbow bridge is dangerous.

That’s currently the only place I’ve heard of that is overly crowded.

I know the area across from the Taipei Zoo is popular, but it’s too far out of the way.

No reports about Da Dao Cheng or Danshui MRT park front.

Quite a few at Jinmei/Xindian/Muzha riverside parks, but so far, the local Indurain clad/Tour de France wannabe crowd still rules. Those whizz by in a flash, a compact, 10 to 20 or more pack. I predict a clash -literally- between those two groups…soon. If not too bad, pics and/or video will follow.

These paths are wide enough most parts, so it is still safe-ish.

Pokemon, not Pokeman.

Now 58; phones. Considering 72 phones.

2 Likes

I find riverside paths pretty dangerous sometimes, weekends are a no go.
Pokemon crowd, yes they do just stop in middle of the path suddenly.
One I see has 4 phone holders on handelbars and a small ipad in the middle.

I pulled up alongside a scooter rider at traffic lights on the road, he was watching a movie on his phone.

1 Like

And why did police not stop him yet?

People play Pokemon anywhere, bus, MRT …

I imagine Pokeman to look like this

2 Likes