Playing Rugby in Taipei

Hi All,

Just a note for those looking for some contact or touch rugby, that you are welcome to join The Taipei Baboons or the Shebabs.

We play both full contact and touch games, and tour around the region. 2006 tours should include Manila, Pattaya, Sandakan (Borneo) and Bali.

We welcome anyone regardless of skill, sex, nationality, experience and anything else.

For more info, you can go to our website taipeirugby.com and sign up for our newsletter.

Cheers.

Want to have fun? Make a lot of friends instantly? Play or learn an amazing sport?

Come and join the Taipei Baboons Rugby Club.

We regularly play other taiwanese teams which is an amazing cultural and fun experience in itself.

Go on tour to other countries in Asia.
Our yearly tour destinations include: [color=red]Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia…[/color]

A great way to see Taiwan as we play all over the island.

So what are you waiting for?
We are more than just a team we are a family!

If interested contact:

David: [color=blue]dave26031@hotmail.com[/color]
Marc: [color=blue]marcevans8@yahoo.co.nz
0953 363 245[/color]

Hi All,

Moving to Taipei in a few weeks and keen to play some serious footy.

Wondering if anyone is familiar with the competition side of things in Taipei for both social and competitive rugby. Initially I’m thinking of doing something casual to get my ball skills back and then move to a competitive level. The dream is to represent ROC at a national level (I was born in Taiwan and grew up in NZ).

I’m a ‘Shane William’ type winger. 28yo, ~75kg and have a PB of 10.8 over the 100m.

So yea, would be great if someone can point me in the right direction. Like, who do I need to impress to get selected for the national side etc.

Cheers,
Dave

[quote=“sydneydave”]Hi All,

Moving to Taipei in a few weeks and keen to play some serious footy.

Wondering if anyone is familiar with the competition side of things in Taipei for both social and competitive rugby. Initially I’m thinking of doing something casual to get my ball skills back and then move to a competitive level. The dream is to represent ROC at a national level (I was born in Taiwan and grew up in NZ).

I’m a ‘Shane William’ type winger. 28yo, ~75kg and have a PB of 10.8 over the 100m.

So yea, would be great if someone can point me in the right direction. Like, who do I need to impress to get selected for the national side etc.

Cheers,
Dave[/quote]

Hi Dave. Check out the Baboons website and make contact with them. They are expat rugby in Taipei. taipeirugby.com/joomla/

If all else fails get yourself to the Brass Monkey and ask for Max. brassmonkeytaipei.com/

cool cheers mate :slight_smile:

You could also try the Taipei Giants, but I have no idea how to contact them. I could ask around at our rugby club (Tainan Rugby Club) as we sometimes travel up north and play the Baboons and/or the Giants.

But if your plan is to represent Taiwan, then you may do better by checking out the university sides. NCKU has one of the better local sides and is a big feeder for the national side. I’ve played against them and the national side and they’re pretty tough!

Cool I’ll keep an eye out.

The baboons have organised an inaugural club rugby comp that started last week, (check out the brass monkey for more info) its played mainly in taipei. i’ve spoken to a few of the baboon members and they think its possible to get noticed playing for them so i’ll probably start there.

Aiming to turn up to training this week actually :slight_smile:

The baboons have some pretty good players although they got smashed 63-3 or something last week as 8 of their young players were away travelling and they had guys in their 40s trying to mix it with a pretty decent team.

I’ll keep you posted with my progress eh.

I forgot to ask the boys at training last night

but do anyone know where I can buy rugby jersey, pants in taipei? headgear, armour would be good as also

[quote=“sydneydave”]I forgot to ask the boys at training last night

but do anyone know where I can buy rugby jersey, pants in taipei? headgear, armour would be good as also[/quote]
You don’t really need the “armour” or the headgear, unless you’re a lock and wish to keep your ears looking normal. with the weather in Taiwan the “armour” will be more of a hindrance than a help.

Its more for training really. The grounds here isn’t the best and its like crashing into a brick wall. Never hurt to have head gear, I’ve had way too many headcrashes in my lifetime.

lol…that’s true. Bloody “ditches” everywhere, very uneven and generally quite hard. After a runabout on a Sunday I find my feet hurt more than anything!

Hi guys and girls,

I used to play a lot of rugby in SA and i really miss it, was wondering if anyone here plays socially? or would like to? I will go back to SA in Dec for a few weeks, planning on buying a ball so maybe in the new year get a game going in Taipei somewhere.

Any takers?

Drop by The Brass Monkey and ask the same question of any large westerner you happen to see. There is a team here called The Baboons (idb). Ruck on.

Hmmmmmmmmmm… Taipei Baboon’s, sounds interesting… u know what area they normally play in?

They bounce around from pitch to pitch around the city depending on what’s available. They have a page on facebook, if you want to get in touch with them.

They bounce around from pitch to pitch around the city depending on what’s available. They have a page on facebook, if you want to get in touch with them.[/quote]

Hi, I’m struggling with a number of injuries right now, but before I get in touch with them on FB do you know if this is a full contact rugby team or touch? I need to find a team sport to play once I fix my knackered legs and would like to try touch rugby. Would like to find a recreational team that takes women…I am really small, and would like to know I am not going to be beaten to a pulp…

They organize both. Also have mixed games, if I understand right. They’ve got a good community and keep everyone, including the kids, involved. PM me if you want the email of one of the guys running a lot of the training sessions.

They bounce around from pitch to pitch around the city depending on what’s available. They have a page on facebook, if you want to get in touch with them.[/quote]

Hi, I’m struggling with a number of injuries right now, but before I get in touch with them on FB do you know if this is a full contact rugby team or touch? I need to find a team sport to play once I fix my knackered legs and would like to try touch rugby. Would like to find a recreational team that takes women…I am really small, and would like to know I am not going to be beaten to a pulp…[/quote]

A number of injuries?
Hah, you’ll fit right in. The “sometimes captain” of the team has got a messed ankle AND knee. Apparently played with the sprained/broken ankle too.
:doh:

Recently came to Taiwan. Wanting to join a rugby team and play a bit of rugby union. Are there any teams in Taipei? I use to play all the time, so probably a bit rusty right now but wanting to get back into it. I’m a forward, 5ft 7, 100kg. Hope you can help. KC