Please explain what a BOT is and how they work

My kid is buying shoes that drop and shock drop and selling them to other numpties. He’s actually making money, but he gets boxed out of the buys more than he gets in.

He is considering buying BOTS to blahblahblah…

I need a BOTS FOR DUMMY DAD lesson.

while(true) {
  buyShit();
}

bg5

@discobot What is a bot?

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

This may be why I stay out of Tech Forum.

Speak Friend and enter.

I just don’t understand what you mean. Some sort of scalping bot?

What is a bot @discobot quote

:left_speech_bubble: Be what you are. This is the first step toward becoming better than you are. — Julius Charles Hare

Does he mean Build Operate Transfer?
@discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: It is certain

Thanks!

1 Like

He lines up to buy shoes.
Sometimes he gets a pair.MOst times not.
BOTS apparently facilitate the sign up process…gets one to the head of the line faster…?

I really just dunno.

I don’t either, but I think you stated the gist of it. Here’s some stuff :slight_smile: :
https://medium.com/@ayinope/how-sneaker-bots-actually-work-a016fd419646

https://www.geosurf.com/blog/bots-to-buy-shoes/

2 Likes

Thanks. This is what he just bought and sold without ever wearing:

Air Jordan 1 Retro High OG Shoe

I remember I used to get pairs of Pro Keds for $16. Had to have leather sneakers after

That’s one thing they do.

I understood little of what you’re talking about, but I think I understand. A bot in this case probably is a software program (SaaS if it’s a good one, meaning monthly payments) that is programmed to emulate human activity, here buying products, on a website or through an app. Likely the software lets you use proxies which looks to the selling website like you’re connecting from different locations.
Certain people use this type of software for spamming on social media. It can be expensive and complicated, but I assume the deal with shoes is that you don’t know when a sale starts and multiple people are hammering the site, causing it to be hard to access, and there are probably limitations on how many items one account can buy. Using software and proxies can automate the process and, when the site is busy, make it more likely to get in than one person acting alone.
I’m not sure I’d use this in Taiwan buying from a Taiwanese merchant as I’m unsure of the laws. In the US, people have at least been sued for abusing services, if the things the software does is against their terms of service. By people, I think I mean the software developers and not users.