Please help me find a home for my dogs

Hello,I am trying to find a home for my two dogs. Syiou Bai and Syiou Hei, both female. I adopted them 4 years ago from a local vet. They had been abandoned and needed a home so my family and I took them in. Now we are moving back to the US for good and the person who agreed to take them a few months ago will not be returning to Taiwan either.I took them to the vet again last week and got them neutered, as well as some more shots and things.I am leaving this weekend and can not take them with me. Can anyone please help me find a home for two of my best friends in Taiwan.
Eric 0938428681

您好:

我的名字是Eric Lier,我想幫我的兩隻狗狗「小白」、「小黑」尋找新家。

四年前我在台中的獸醫院領養她們。小黑和小白都是母的,她們已經結紮,並且已接種預防注射。

我們即將搬回美國,原本要領養她們的朋友因為學校沒有續聘也必須離開台灣。

我在7/6的周末就要去美國了,新家規定不能有寵物,拜託大家幫忙,幫我最好的狗狗朋友找新家。

謝謝!謝謝!

手機:Eric 0938428681 / 吳小姐0935090221

Wow… good luck!

Have you considered taking them home with you? I know for North Americans it is pretty easy to take pets home.
I took that into consideration before adopting. I am pretty grateful to be from Canada right now! :slight_smile:

New Zealand, Australia, England, and South Africa, on the other hand, sound like an expensive and complicated nightmare! :frowning: But doable. And many do.

Yes, if you can’t find a home here, please take them back with you. Even if you can’t keep them in America, it will be a lot easier to find a good home there. You did a great thing adopting the strays in the first place. Please don’t give up on them now.

[quote=“kage”]Wow… good luck!

Have you considered taking them home with you? I know for North Americans it is pretty easy to take pets home… New Zealand, Australia, England, and South Africa, on the other hand, sound like an expensive and complicated nightmare! :frowning: But doable. And many do.[/quote]

That is pretty much correct. Bringing a dog to the US only costs about NT$4,000 if you do it right. For England, you’re looking at about NT$70,000, and for Australia it’s closer to NT$100,000. That’s for a dog that weighs about 20Kg. If a dog is heavier than that, it costs more and it’s less if the dog is smaller.

And yes, many people do it. A friend recently left for Australia, and she took her four cats with her for about NT$ 100,000. A co-worker also recently went home to England and he took his dog with him for about NT$75,000.

This said, many people don’t do it because it is, after all, a lot of money. I’m sure some of you southerners knew Villy who held parties on his rooftop near the University in Kaohsiung. He wanted to bring his two big dogs with him to Australia, but he was looking at over NT$200,000. He did not have that kind of money so he left his dogs with a friend. What I have heard is that said friend, and I will not say his name, took one of the dogs that wasn’t re-homed and dumped him on the street miles from his then vacant home. The dog returned three times despite being dumped further away each time. Finally, said “friend” took the ferry to Chechin island and dumped the dog there. The news really aggravated me because this dog was just a friendly awesome pet.

This to say that the OP should be careful who he leaves his pets with… and should also consider that for less than NT$10,000 he could take the dogs with him and re-home them in the US if all else fails.

There has been a lot of debate on this forum alone which I would label the animal vs people debate. It’s clear that many people do not see the life of a pet as something “really” significant. That’s not about to change, so a word to the wise is; do not leave your dogs behind with strangers because you will not like it when you lose track of what happened to your dogs. Good chances are they will be dumped on the street.

Anyways… Fingers crossed for the OP’s dogs. And please folks, if you have a pet and you know that you will not take him/her home when you leave, start looking for a home for them NOW. Do not consider an animal “yours” unless it really is “yours” because having a pet is not a convenience, it’s a lifelong commitment. Without that commitment, you own no pets. You are merely caring for them temporarily.

marboulette

Yeah I recently took Jack to NZ. It did cost a fortune (around 130-140k including the quarantine and myriad of tests I had to get sent to Australia prior to departure).

One of these days I will post about it if anyone is interested in the procedure. BTW, a couple of years ago I wrote to the Biosecurity people in NZ regarding Taiwan’s rabies free status hoping to get TW imports on the quarantine free list similar to Australia & the UK. That became a very political issue, but the end result was they did draft a slim lime preparation procedure just for Taiwan sourced dogs. Basically reduces the prep time from over 6 months to about 1 month. Again, I have that special document if anyone needs it as it’s not on the official Govt website.

I have no regrets about doing it, although I still shudder at the price. Basically, when you adopt a dog here, you have to make the commitment that you will take them with you. I made that decision, but it did cost way more than I expected.

Please tell me how to do this. Everyone I talked to has said anywhere from 20,000 to 30,000 Nt and then I don’t have a home for them.
Eric

Please tell me how to do this. Everyone I talked to has said anywhere from 20,000 to 30,000 Nt and then I don’t have a home for them.
Eric[/quote]

Well if you cannot take them have them put down.

I live in the mountains where people dump their pets on a routine basis. Several times a year there a several abandoned litters.

Sometimes they are taken by predatory animals. Snakes, eagles, bears, and other animals.

Sometimes I just do the decent thing.

:whistle:

Eric[/quote]

Shipping: roughly NT$5,000 per dog, depending on size
Crate: roughly NT$5,000 per dog, depending on size
Rabies shots: you already did that
Microchip: you already did that
Health certificate: maybe NT$1,000 per dog
Export Permit: no charge

Total: about NT$11,000 per dog.

Start asking around at no-kill shelters in the US. You’ve had some pretty good advice here (until recently), and no one’s judging you. I really wouldn’t leave them here, nor kill them (when did killing ever get to be labeled ‘the responsible thing to do’? :loco:).

Eric[/quote]

There is no quarantine for the animals upon arriving from Taiwan in the US. This means that all you have to do is arrange your flight with an airline that will let you take the dogs as extra luggage. It’s the same price per weight as if you had extra luggage so ultimately, it’s really cheap. In addition to that you have to pay a vet to fill out a health certificate, and you have to fill out immigration forms. So yeah… About 4k per dog, and perhaps even less than that. Stray Dog’s quote is a bit too high in my experience, but yes, you have to buy crates, too. They can easily be sold on Ebay after you’re done with them, though. But let’s say that it is indeed about 10k per dog. That’s a pretty small price to pay to save your dog’s life.

Since you are leaving this weekend, you’re running a bit late on the paper work, there… So not much point in giving you all the needed details. But if you decide to leave your dog with someone and have the dogs transported to the US at a later date, let me know and I’ll provide the necessary info.

I guess the two posts above Stray Dog’s post are re-enforcing what I was saying… Just be REALLY careful who you leave your dogs with when you depart… :s

marboulette

[quote=“Truant”]One of these days I will post about it if anyone is interested in the procedure.[/quote]You are the only person I know to have brought a pet to NZ. That info is gold. Please do post a detailed procedure.

[quote]Basically reduces the prep time from over 6 months to about 1 month. Again, I have that special document if anyone needs it as it’s not on the official Govt website.[/quote]If you could pm me a scan of this document that would be fantastic.

[quote]I have no regrets about doing it, although I still shudder at the price.[/quote]Made me shudder, too, and it’s not even my money. :wink: But you survived this compromise you made, and now you have your buddy with you. It’s awesome.[quote] Basically, when you adopt a dog here, you have to make the commitment that you will take them with you.[/quote]Amen.

marboulette

[quote=“Eric W. Lier”]Hello,I am trying to find a home for my two dogs. Syiou Bai and Syiou Hei, both female. I adopted them 4 years ago from a local vet. They had been abandoned and needed a home so my family and I took them in. Now we are moving back to the US for good and the person who agreed to take them a few months ago will not be returning to Taiwan either.I took them to the vet again last week and got them neutered, as well as some more shots and things.I am leaving this weekend and can not take them with me. Can anyone please help me find a home for two of my best friends in Taiwan.
Eric 0938428681

您好:

我的名字是Eric Lier,我想幫我的兩隻狗狗「小白」、「小黑」尋找新家。

四年前我在台中的獸醫院領養她們。小黑和小白都是母的,她們已經結紮,並且已接種預防注射。

我們即將搬回美國,原本要領養她們的朋友因為學校沒有續聘也必須離開台灣。

我在7/6的周末就要去美國了,新家規定不能有寵物,拜託大家幫忙,幫我最好的狗狗朋友找新家。

謝謝!謝謝!

手機:Eric 0938428681 / 吳小姐0935090221[/quote]

Contact BARK (Kaohsiung) or Animals Taiwan (Taipei and Taichung). Maybe they can help. Or maybe they can’t. You can but ask.

I brought 2 cats into NZ 18 months ago, at a cost of around $100,000 including 30 days’ quarantine although it certainly sounds like Truant had better luck with Biosecurity; I hit a brick wall.

NZ and Oz probably have the most stringent quarantine / biosecurity rules in the world, and for good reason. They are fighting hard to protect their largely disease-free status. But when policy is based on ignorance rather than fact, and when an overdeveloped sense of power is the driving force, it is frustrating and infuriating.

I also went through the process of linking Taiwan’s Bureau of Animal and Plant Health Inspection and Quarantine (BAPHIQ) people with Biosecurity in NZ. Turned out that the Biosecurity people are among the most arrogant and ill-informed of all bureaucrats (and that is an achievement!).

Despite a 70-page proof of health status sent by Taiwan to Biosecurity at my request (The TWNese were great; they did everything they could to help), and despite pointing out the fact that the rest of the first world had realised TWN’s animal health status (with appropriate links - Japan, Switzerland, the EU, the US), the final response was that until Biosecurity had done their OWN, independent study, they were not interested. And such a study would “only be conducted if funds were available”, which of course they are not for a country which probably exports a total of 6 or fewer live animals into NZ a year.

The classic “poetic justice” was when TWN banned the import of NZ apples because of pests found in them just a few months ago.

Ultimately, the whole experience was one that I hope never to repeat. We absolutely love our cats, but frankly, if we had known what a complete nightmare the whole process would be (cost wasn’t a deciding factor really), we probably wouldn’t have done it. It was 6 months of absolute stress, but if anyone needs any help being walked through the process (for cats, not dogs - that is an even worse set of requirements unless, as with Truant, you can get a special “dispensation”), I kept some pretty complete notes; I would like to think my stress could be somewhat reduced for the next person.

I am in huge admiration of people like you and truant who refuse to accept unnecessary obstacles and move mountains to try and make things work for you and your animals. :bravo:

DSN,

Let me Echo what Stray Dog said. You guys are on the ball. :slight_smile:

We would be very interested in step by step instructions for cats going to NZ. We already have a few countries listed on our website, including Australia, Canada and South Africa (Thanks to trapjaw, Katie, and others who have helped out. We have past on this info to countless people already). If you and Truant could share the painstaking ordeal you went through, I’m sure it could be very helpful to other people moving to NZ. I think you guys should each start a specific thread and I would make sure that they are added to the sticky threads in the P&A forum.

Think about it, had you had specific instructions with phone numbers and addresses to begin with, this process would have been a whole lot easier for you both. Your help is gold to people who are in the same situation you guys once were in. Please do share with us.

marboulette