Please help: Ordering coffee

(I didn’t know whether to this in the Food&Drink)

Can someone please tell me how to say “double shot of espresso over ice. No milk, no sugar”?
Please, please please. My days will be so much better if I could just figure out how to order this.

bing mei shi
will get you an iced black coffee. it’s literally iced american style.
sorry can’t help with the espresso bit

Yi1bei1 liang3bei4 nong2suo1 hei1 ka1fei1, jia1 bing1, bu2yao4 jia1 niu2nai3, ye3 bu2yao4 tang2

That’s way too long. Just say bing1 liang3bei4 espresso.

The staff will then ask as they always do if you want sugar and milk and you just say bu2yong4.

If there is some special way to pour the espresso over ice then just order the shots and then asked for a cup of ice and do it yourself.

Btw, is bei4 the correct measure word for shots? I only drink mei3shi4 myself and sometimes they ask one shot or two but I forget the word as it’s obvious in context what they are asking.

Good point. That’s two cups, one girl.

I maybe betraying my suffering Chinky speak, but I recall something like shuang zhong nong suo, yi bei . . . . Zhong as in 鍾.

HG

Okay, asked a Taiwanese friend who is a coffee expert.

In Taiwan you can say:

1. yi1bei1 double shot de bing1 espresso

2. yi1 bei bing1de liang3 ounce de espresso

3. yibei liang ounce de bing espresoo

And milk and sugar are always said as “jia1 nai3jing1 gen1 tang2.”

But again, it’s usually easier just to let them ask you rather than say a really long sentence.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]Okay, asked a Taiwanese friend who is a coffee expert.

In Taiwan you can say:

1. yi1bei1 double shot de bing1 espresso

2. yi1 bei bing1de liang3 ounce de espresso

3. yibei liang ounce de bing espresoo

And milk and sugar are always said as “jia1 nai3jing1 gen1 tang2.”

But again, it’s usually easier just to let them ask you rather than say a really long sentence.[/quote]I agree about the long sentence bit. You probably won’t get through half of it before they finish the sentence for you anyway.

One note, though: isn’t nai3jing1 that awful creamer stuff? When people ask me if I want real milk, it’s always niu2nai3.

yes but that is what most places serve. if you want fresh milk yes use niu nai but a lot of places don’t have it.

I just realised why this wasn’t at the top of the brain. I read the farkin’ menu!

And I have this thing about not saying shite like “grande” when I want a large cup.

To the OP, perhaps the most useful phrase you could learn now is zenme shuo? “How do you say that?” Throw it around enough and it will al start to stick. No need to add “in Chinese”, etc, cos the language does context very well.

HG

Thanks so much guys!

I’ll try the shortest one first and see how it works out.
I hope they’ll only charge me for just the espresso and not the whole latte one.

Thanks for the complete one DG. I’ll use it to practice with once I get a bit more comfortable speaking to people.
And HG, I’ll be sure to start using zenme shuo in daily speak as well.

<3

Btw, I am not kidding about “double shot” and “liang ounce”. If people have been trained this is the vocabulary they are taught to understand according to my friend. If they haven’t been trained then they won’t know what you want in any case so try “liang3 fen4 espresso” or “liang3 fen4 nong2suo1”. But again, if you have to use the chinese for espresso then you are dealing with someone who probably doesn’t know how to make it properly in any case.

Ni zhidao Niu Yue de kafei shi shijie shang zui hao he de kafei ma?

:no-no: That’s too long!

If you want your double over ice, it’s easier just to say, “Niu Yue Zui Hao!” (All 4th tones) :neutral:

And don’t let 'em try to talk to you in English! I HATE THAT! :bluemad:

cant they understand “espresso” I should think they do. Just say Doppio espresso per favore.

Just kidding.

What happens when you want a “long pull” as opposed to a “short pull” How do say that in chinoise ?

I dont actually know what that means long or short, but if asked I go with “long”. Who wants to be short?

Or you could say “piesay, nunh hyun espresso, kuhn ping, seh seh” “mai gah thungh , mai gah goo lihn” (oh sorry thats all taiwanese).

I was thinking the same thing. Bingde espresso is surely going to do the job. Then say buyau loudly to anything else they ask you as they’re making it. Remember to watch them like a hawk while they’re at the coffee machine just in case they try to pull a fast one and add something daft like caramel or somesuch. They’ll forget anything else you say during ordering, anyway, and ask you again while they’re at the machine.

Once they’ve got it right a few times they’ll give you the same thing every time you go there. Short term memory seems to be a problem over here, but they’re like elephants in the long term.

tomthorne, I really respect you as a poster, but you are going to get Lili in trouble if you don’t post more carefully. Perhaps you haven’t had your double espresso yet today, so you’re not yet thinking clearly. I forgive you.

Speaking loudly is good, but
What if they ask you, “For here or to go?” :ponder: Huh?
Or what if they ask you, “Are you ready to pay for that?”

Absolutely! Try to get behind the counter and look over their shoulder.

Link?!
I find it’s quite the opposite. These computer generation kids who have been tested 5 times a day can’t afford to hold things long term. It’s ALL about short term here. There are two ways you get around this.

One is by making your budding barista write down your special order in his cell phone. That way he’ll never “forget”… until he needs a new phone.

A second way is to keep going very frequently (5 or more times per day in the training period) to the same shop. Insist on the same “barista” each time, and never vary your order or your clothing. Soon everyone working in the shop will know you and know exactly what you like.

Tommy, I don’t want to hear any more about you havin’ a “long pull.” In this tough job market, you should focus on your work.

This thread is fun. I’m surprised Dr.McCoy hasn’t chipped in yet.
I too believe their short term memory is non-existent. Watch them like a hawk behind the counter. :slight_smile:

I’m fillin’ in for Doc. He’s havin’ a long pull.

espressoguy.com/making_espre … like_a_pro

a bit of a science it is then?

Good points, zender. As usual I hadn’t thought through all the possible permutations.

Speaking loudly is definitely key.