Please Report Animal Abuse ~ Taipei

Hi, there.

It was brought to our attention a few months back that there was a large number of dogs being kept in horrific conditions in the Xinyi area. We investigated and discovered what is apparently a puppy mill. There were six cages, each filled with as many as five dogs, kept in very dark, damp, and dirty surroundings, with no visible access to food, water and nowhere to exercise. Several of the dogs were pregnant.

The animals were being kept in conditions that were in violation of the Animal Welfare Law, so the case was reported to the Taipei Municipal Institute for Animal Health, who promptly undertook their own investigation. This included staking out the property and questioning the neighbors, but the owner was never found. Sadly, the businessman who owns these animals was tipped off by one of the neighbors, and he removed the dogs earlier this month under the cover of darkness.

We would very much like to know of their whereabouts, as several of the dogs were already visibly sickening. If you know where we might find these dogs, please contact me immediately. You can call me on 0913 708 527 or contact me via P.M. or e-mail.

Also, if you see, at a night market or pet shop, any dogs or puppies for sale that look similar to the any of those in the photos, please also contact me ASAP. We would really like to put a stop to this illegal and very cruel practice.

I apologise for the quality of the images, but the dogs were in complete darkness and at a distance that was difficult for the flash to reach.

Many thanks,

Sean

Man, that just sucks. I hope the guy gets found and suitably punished.

Couldn’t find the guy? I bet they could have if they really wanted to. I suppose their powers are limited. And may the neighbour who tipped him off fall down a well or something.

How about approaching the media with this story? Persuade Apple Daily to run some of these photos?

Given that this was in the Xinyi area, do you think the dogs are being peddled at the Xinyi flower market? Maybe you should go down there on Sat or Sun and see if some of the dogs or their owners look familiar.

What a stupid fucking comment :loco:

It’s picutres and stories like those above that really make me think that pet stores should just be banend outright.

Brian

The pet shop section of Jian Tian night market is a crime against god and humanity.
shit covered, disease ridden, open sores and desperate eyes.
However the owner’s swear they are pure breed healthy and happy.
yea right
:wink:

Shifty, can you get some pictures and write down the exact problems you see. Then contact the Taipei Municipal Institute for Animal Health (see section 3.[f]). Tell them how what you see contravenes the Animal Protection Law and ask what they can do about the situation. Be polite. There are people at this agency that really want to help, but they have had some bad experiences with foreigners in the past. The woman to speak to is Amanda Han (tmiah033@tmiah.tcg.gov.tw / 02 8789 7133); she was recommended to me by the RSPCA as being someone with huge potential for animal welfare in Taiwan. She speaks excellent English. We need more people to start reporting abuse; it’s the only way the government will realise that more needs to be done to reduce animal neglect and cruelty on the island.

Keep following it up, but remember to bear with them. Their powers are limited, and they need time to build a solid case against the perpetrators. They have successfully penalised hundreds of animal abusers and won many court cases in defence of animals; they even helped prosecute a Taiwanese TV show for mistreatment of animals (the one where guests had to put their hands inside a box and guess what was inside - there were various animals, and some were harmed in the process). They are the best people to contact.

Good luck, and please contact me if you need any more help: 0913 708 527. Let us know how it goes.

Many thanks for your concern.

Cheers!

Sean

[quote=“Stray Dog”]Shifty, can you get some pictures and write down the exact problems you see. Then contact the Taipei Municipal Institute for Animal Health (see section 3.[f]). Tell them how what you see contravenes the Animal Protection Law and ask what they can do about the situation. Be polite. There are people at this agency that really want to help, but they have had some bad experiences with foreigners in the past. The woman to speak to is Amanda Yeh; she was recommended to me by the RSPCA as being someone with huge potential for animal welfare in Taiwan. She speaks excellent English. We need more people to start reporting abuse; it’s the only way the government will realise that more needs to be done to reduce animal neglect and cruelty on the island.

Keep following it up, but remember to bear with them. Their powers are limited, and they need time to build a solid case against the perpetrators. They have successfully penalised hundreds of animal abusers and won many court cases in defence of animals; they even helped prosecute a Taiwanese TV show for mistreatment of animals (the one where guests had to put their hands inside a box and guess what was inside - there were various animals, and some were harmed in the process). They are the best people to contact.

Good luck, and please contact me if you need any more help: 0913 708 527. Let us know how it goes.

Many thanks for your concern.

Cheers!

Sean[/quote]

excellent post thank you for the info.
I am going to try to get some photos 2 nite but I am thinking the owners will not be to keen on that.
again thanks
:notworthy:

Pretend like you’re really interested in buying one of the dogs, shifty.

Tell them you want to buy one for your girlfriend, and you want her to choose one she likes.

Sean, can I ask what usually happens to these dogs when the owners get caught?

That’s the difficult part. We were originally told that the dogs in the puppy mill, if confiscated, would be taken to the shelter. If not adopted, … well, we all know what happens. This was a point of contention for us, as there seemed little point in freeing them just to see them die.

However, after some debate, we realised that the primary goal is to show that keeping animals in such conditions is wrong, and if the owner is fined, it will serve as an example that will benefit other dogs that might be spared the suffering because it might now be regarded as too risky.

Thankfully, we were able to negotiate with the TMIAH to have the animals released directly into our care, so we can find a home for them. This won’t always be possible, because of space constraints, etc., but it’s what we’ll always try to do in the future.

What will happen in shifty’s case, is the TMIAH will issue a warning, which, if not heeded, will result in a penalty and perhaps removal of the animals. Hopefully the warning will be enough to make the ‘owner’ change his or her ways.

It’s not the best system, but it’s all we have right now.

Sean

Thanks for the info. That’s the answer I was hoping for.

shifty,

How did it go?

bump