Please school me on heart rate monitors

Personally I find them uncomfortable for the first couple of minutes, then you stop noticing them, and then they start to chafe or slip around the half-hour mark.

It might be worth getting this checked out on an ergometer/ECG just to make sure there’s no organic reason for it. You might just be extremely fit, but something there doesn’t add up. OTOH if there is something wrong, those checks can scare the crap out of you when they want to start giving you drugs or probing you because you’re not ‘normal’.

hmm … sounds interesting. Just got the kindle edition. OTOH I’m not sure I trust the advice of someone who recommends chocolate milk over gatorade. IMHO they’re both junk food. You’d be better off, surely, just, you know …eating a meal?

I originally went to read up on the heartrate-zone science because we implement this feature in our software, and I wanted to see if there were any refinements to the idea. I was surprised to find out that it’s one of those things that has superficially-appealing science behind it, but doesn’t really work out in practice. My main gripe is the way the 60-70% zone is marketed as ‘fat burning’, so you get all the fat people cranking away on the elliptical for hours on end, bored shitless (because 65% isn’t very challenging for anybody) … and then they go off and drink their recommended bottle of chocolate milk or gatorade, which is guaranteed to make them stay fat. The way I use CV these days is as the name implies: cardio training. I do intervals, but basically I expect to increase my average power output over time, relative to some average heartrate, which I try to keep around 85-90%.

Doesn’t make any sense to me either.

Depends what you snack on, surely? My favourite snack at the moment is a bowl of muesli and some homemade greek yoghurt.

EDIT: good book. Interesting stuff. Amazing how much of sports ‘science’ is just received wisdom.