PLEASE - someone must know!

I know that someone must know the answers to my questions, please help !

(1) Can my employer cancel my ARC immediately on receiving my resignation ? I’m hoping there is something to prevent employers from cancelling ARC’s until the employee has worked their final shift - naive ?!

(2) If I have to give 10 days notice (by law) and they cancel my ARC giving me only 7 days to leave, I’ll be overstaying by 3 days - how is this legal/logical ?!

(3) How would I find out if my ARC had been cancelled ? Many people on this forum seemed to have been unaware that it had been done to them.

(4) Although ‘illegal’ and pretty mean, should I give only 7 days notice in case they do cancel my ARC and I have to leave quickly ?

(5) How much are the overstay fines exactly ?!

(6) Is it true that access to your bank account is frozen as soon as your ARC is cancelled ? I was planning to leave my ATM card with my partner to collect my final salary, but it sounds like he won’t be able to use it. How do people get hold of their final salary packages ?

(6) If you can’t help, who should I ask ? My local police station ? The Foreign Affairs police ? The CLA ? I would have to have these conversations in English as my Chinese is dire.

Many thanks in advance.

BV

I think that you should provide some additional information before anyone will really be able to offer some constructive comments.

In particular, what are the dates of your contract? What is the approx. salary per month? What is the type of employment? When were you hired? What is your highest educational level attained? Nationality?

Why are you resigning?

[quote=“Hartzell”]I think that you should provide some additional information before anyone will really be able to offer some constructive comments.

In particular, what are the dates of your contract? What is the approx. salary per month? What is the type of employment? When were you hired? What is your highest educational level attained? Nationality?

Why are you resigning?[/quote]

I signed only a very basic contract for the purposes of getting a work permit, there were no terms stipulated. I have only been working for them for 3 months, and found out from a Tealit report that I am legally obliged to give 10 days.

I am working as an English teacher and am British.

I am resigning because I am leaving Taiwan. I have had no problems with my employer.

I am not sure how hese details are all relevant to my query (?)

As regards getting paid, I wouldn’t take any notice of anything you read at tealit, or here for that matter. Contracts are hard to enforce, and basically it’s down to you and your employer to settle things. If you think there are going to be hard feelings then getting paid will be your biggest issue, and your ARC will be a minor matter. If you’re going to part ways amicably then just ask to be paid up after you finish.

Many people just get sick for a few days before payday, and then do a runner. Sad but true.

Your employer doesn’t issue your ARC, they sponsor a work permit which entitles you to obtain a resident visa, and then you get an ARC, although someone else may go and do the paperwork for you. It’s issued to you by the police, and the school can’t cancel it.

When you quit your job the school is required to notify the work permit people, and I think they have to state the last date on which you were/will be working for them. Until you have worked your last class you are still employed by the school, therefore no-one can move to cancel your work permit.

Once you have finished someone at the government starts cancelling your work permit, and then they tell the guy that is responsible for residency visas. After he gets around to cancelling your residency he notifies the police, and they are supposed to call and let you know that you are no longer entitled to stay in Taiwan.

Then they give you a short period to get your affairs in order, a week or so I think, but really it’s up to whoever you talk to. I once overstayed five weeks because the guy behind the desk took pity on me. Technically it wasn’t an overstay either, as he did something to my passport to make it OK.

So you probably have two full weeks after you finish, but I would strongly advise going to see the police. I imagine it’s a small office where you are. So if you go in, ask their advice, be polite, and go back every few days to ask whether you’re still OK then you will still be OK. When the time comes to give you your marching orders, er, I can’t make any promises but I’ve always found them to be very reasonable here in Taipei. And a pair of fine upstanding British breasts will no doubt be something that they will wish to keep around as long as possible. Smile a lot. Make them feel special. You’ll be here forever.

I’m not aware that there’s any linkage between your bank account and your visa status. Mine (chinatrust) was opened with an ARC and has never given me any problems.

Finally, forumosa is your friend but your country’s representative office is supposed to be there to serve too. Did you register with the BTCO when you got here? There are two BTCO wardens in Tainan, PM me for their contact details. They won’t get involved in a commercial dispute, ie claims for unpaid salaries, but it’s always nice to have someone official who can deal with the police for you if you get into trouble.

Finally, it may seem like a big deal now but this is all small stuff. Don’t worry about it. Try and time your departure to coincide with the next hapy hour and have a night out in Taipei before you leave. Some of those guys who gave you a hard time previously are quite likeable in real life.

This is irrelevant, she is breaking her contract and knows it.

This is irrelevant and no one’s business but hers and her employer.

Irrelevant, she is breaking her contract and still knows it.

Irrelevant, see the above reason.

Sorry, but what the hell does this have to do with anything?

Once again, irrelevant.

Irrelevant and quite like the salary…no one else’s business.
Why do you always attempt to complicate things by asking irrelevant questions?
Stragbasher’s reply was much more meaningful and to the point.

As a relative newcomer to the boards and one who has helped exactly how many foreigners here with legal problems, I would be a little more cautious before accusing other people of giving “irrelevant” advice. :eh: Glass houses and all…

You were right about Stragbasher’s excellent advice, however. :sunglasses:

Stragbasher - thankyou, thankyou, thankyou !

That’s really put my mind at rest. Thanks for taking the time to write such an informative and thorough post.

Forumosa is my friend afterall…shame it’s when I’m leaving !

I’m afraid that I’m flying my upright British breasts out of Kaohsiung airport, so there’s no chance of ‘exposing’ them to the delights of Taipei. They are grateful for the invitation though.

Thanks again.

BV

You know, you’ll have to impound them with a vet for quarantine when you get back to auld Blighty for something like six months starting from whenever you got them vaccinated. If you’d like, you can leave them with me; I’ll give them a good home, pet them frequently, and send them back as soon as the quarantine period is up. No charge, just being friendly.

Could you at least post some photos of them before they go??

MaPo, your breasts would be the envy of many a local lass. You don’t need to deal with Vick’s as well. I’m sure she appreciates the offer, but why not just leave them to me?

BV, flying out of that nasty southern airport would be a dis-service not only to yourself and Taiwan. It would also be a slap in the face for the community that is your friend. I don’t know why you’re leaving Taiwan, and at the risk of agreeing with Vannyel I have to say that there’s a lot of info you don’t need to share, but if it’s anything to do with lifestyle issues…

Come see how people live in the big friendly city before you do anything truly precipitous. I fucking hated this country for the first six months, but it got better after I moved to Taipei. After a couple of years I chose to stay in Taiwan because it offered me the best combination of work, money, free time, social benefits, and activities.

You’re leaving your bf of eight years? Must be some major upset.

British Vick,

Yes, spill the beans!!! :smiling_imp: Why are you leaving Taiwan??? I thought your BF had a “plum” job and a beautiful condo in the South. Let me guess :sunglasses: You came home one day and he was making sweet, sweaty, nasty gerbil love to a few “xiaojies” in the bathroom of your condo. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Thanks for the concern regarding my motivation for leaving, but it’s nothing actually that ‘juicy’. The bf of 8 years is leaving too in a few months, his work is drying-up here. We will be going to the UAE or Oz.

In the meantime, I am returning to the motherland for some fashion, TV and chocolate Hob Nob therapy…I’m trying not to think about the rain, pub prices and bad food. I don’t think I realised how quintessentially ‘British’ I was until coming here, I have even missed the good old sense of cynicism.

Taiwan hasn’t treated me so bad, although you will know from my good friend Travel Goddesses posts, that Tainan is a poxy place for western woman. Taipei would have been the better option, maybe I will make it there some day.

BV

PS. My mammory friends are not the large assets they once were. 4 months of tiny meals and a minor stomach bug has shrunk my frame considerably, although I plan to work on this situation with plenty of fish ‘n’ chips on my return to Blighty.

[quote=“Chewycorns”]British Vick,

Yes, spill the beans!!! :smiling_imp: Why are you leaving Taiwan??? I thought your BF had a “plum” job and a beautiful condo in the South. Let me guess :sunglasses: You came home one day and he was making sweet, sweaty, nasty gerbil love to a few “xiaojies” in the bathroom of your condo. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:[/quote]

Why on earth would that be a reason for a girl to leave her bf? Sounds like a great situation for a girl to find herself in.

BV, you can get fish and chips at Bohemian Bob’s. Chocolate hobnobs are a different matter and I may have to do a deal with you to get some shipped out.

Jason’s, at least sometimes.

[quote=“Maoman”]As a relative newcomer to the boards and one who has helped exactly how many foreigners here with legal problems, I would be a little more cautious before accusing other people of giving “irrelevant” advice. :eh: Glass houses and all…

You were right about Stragbasher’s excellent advice, however. :sunglasses:[/quote]
Well I would not offer legal advice unless I was a licensed attorney…nor would I offer medical advice unless I was a licensed doctor…nor would I…oh, surely you get the picture. :wink:

Might be a bit late for British vick . But my friend had the same problem. She went to see the nice lady in the foreign affairs police department ( you know the one I hope ) She took a long her air plane ticket and they agreed to ensure her ARC was vaild until a day after the ticket. Very nice lady if you are polite. Most foreigners know her in Tainan, her English is good and she is very helpful.