Please take my survey titled "Foreign Born English Teachers in Taiwan". Your feedback is important!

[color=#FF0000]*This survey is meant for teachers that have current or past experience in teaching at cram schools.[/color]

My name is David Hammar. I’m currently studying for my MSc in International Management at the University of Liverpool. As part of my studies, I will be conducting a research with the University of Liverpool that will focus on the turnover rate of foreign born English teachers in Taiwan. For more information please see the PIS below.

Thank you.

*This survey is completely anonymous - no personal information is gathered.

Survey URL: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/esltw

PARTICIPANT INFORMATION SHEET

What is the title of this project?
Turnover rate of foreign born English language teachers in Taiwan

Why do you need me to participate?
We would like to invite you to take part in a research study on what affects the turnover rate of foreign born English language teachers in Taiwan. The aim of this research is to identify the factors and the number of turnover rate among foreign born English language teachers. Only with your help can we identify such factors. We really appreciate your participation in this research.

This project has been approved by the University of Liverpool and the ethics committee.

How do I participate?
You will be provided a link to a survey hosted on SurveyMonkey.com

How much time will I need to set aside to participate?
It will take you around 5 to 10 minutes to complete all the questions.

What are my rights?
If you want to withdraw yourself during the survey, you are able to by just closing the browser window. You are not obligated to complete the survey if you don’t want to.

What benefits do I get for participating?
The data received will be analysed to pinpoint the factors that affect turnover and this information would be beneficial for you or new comers in learning how to deal with this type of problem/situation beforehand.

Will I get any kind of reimbursement or compensation in participating?
There is no reimbursement or compensation for participating in this research. Your participation is much appreciated.

Will my name or other identifiable information be made public?
The data collected from the survey will not contain any information that will be to identify you. You will participation in this research is/will be kept anonymous.
We will never ask for your name, phone, address and email at any time.

Do I need to sign any papers to participate in this study?
You are required to check the consent box located at the online survey url (no signature is required).
By checking the consent box, you give us permission to use the information gathered in our research study.

CONTACT INFORMATION
Name: David Hammar
Cellular #: +886-936-269-515
Email: david.hammar@liverpool.ac.uk
Add: P.O. Box 10-16, Hsinchu 30099, Taiwan

The contact details of the research participant advocate at the University of Liverpool are:
Phone: 001-612-312-1210 (USA number)
Email: liverpoolethics@ohecampus.com

Survey URL: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/esltw

Will you publish free online or otherwise make the results available to participants?

Your public shout out fails to mention that one must work or have worked at a cram school. From a look at the survey one needs to have that experience… Not all teachers will have worked at cram schools. Just so as you know.

BigJohn: I will need to get permission from the University of Liverpool to publish the results. I will check with them once my dissertation has been completed.

superking: I have edited my post to mention cram school experience is needed to take the survey.

Thank you

I’ll do it when I get a bit of time later tonight. I don’t work for a buxiban at the moment, but I have done in the past.

As an aside, I can’t get Alan Partridge out of my mind when I see your username :laughing:

[quote=“CampDavid”]
superking: I have edited my post to mention cram school experience is needed to take the survey.

Thank you[/quote]

No worries.

[quote=“CampDavid”]BigJohn: I will need to get permission from the University of Liverpool to publish the results. I will check with them once my dissertation has been completed.
[/quote]

I understand, but that doesn’t help people who would rather participate now if they are actually interested in the project. Fine, it’s ethical, but so what? What relevance does that have to us? Why not talk to your uni and ask them now? I’ll certainly participate and encourage others to participate in a survey that I understand and will learn something from, not just “'Ere, give us some info then.”

You could at least tell us what the survey is about and what it is intended to accomplish for who and for what general purpose.

Why is our feedback important?

Is this too much to ask?

You should define the term, English Teacher. Are we talking degree educated, teacher trained professionals or bum drifters who wouldn’t know a noun from a verb and are just winging it? I guess the latter makes up about 99% of so called English teachers in Taiwan. Just my opinion…

Its also possible to make polls in the forums (just saying).

I’m not a teacher so I can’t participate, but out of curiosity I had a quick look. I’d just like to say that - for once - this looks like a really well-designed questionnaire. I’ve seen some bloody awful ones being posted on here. Good luck with your research, OP, and as BigJohn said, it is usual to give a little something back for participation … especially since, according to your LinkedIn entry, it looks like you have some commercial interest in the results.

[quote=“BigJohn”][quote=“CampDavid”]BigJohn: I will need to get permission from the University of Liverpool to publish the results. I will check with them once my dissertation has been completed.
[/quote]

I understand, but that doesn’t help people who would rather participate now if they are actually interested in the project. Fine, it’s ethical, but so what? What relevance does that have to us? Why not talk to your uni and ask them now? I’ll certainly participate and encourage others to participate in a survey that I understand and will learn something from, not just “'Ere, give us some info then.”

You could at least tell us what the survey is about and what it is intended to accomplish for who and for what general purpose.

Why is our feedback important?

Is this too much to ask?[/quote]

This research is conducted with the University of Liverpool which basically means that they own part of it. I cannot just publish my findings without their written permission. I don’t think there will be a problem with the university giving me to publish the results but it will have to wait until my dissertation is complete.

My research looks into the problem of turnover rates among the English teachers in Taiwan - Information is gathered from the teachers and cram school owners/managers. After information is gathered it will be analyzed to pinpoint the factors affecting turnover. This is why your feedback is important.

Thank you for your input.

I understand. Thanks for the response! I’ll take the survey.

[quote=“BigJohn”][quote=“CampDavid”]
This research is conducted with the University of Liverpool which basically means that they own part of it. I cannot just publish my findings without their written permission. I don’t think there will be a problem with the university giving me to publish the results but it will have to wait until my dissertation is complete.
[/quote]

I understand. Thanks for the response! I’ll take the survey.[/quote]

Thank you BigJohn.

What finley said. The usual survey posted here might ask for English teachers in China and Taiwan to take part and mix up their results and a guy quitting because of overwork and a drunk guy having been fired for sleeping in class might end up with exactly the same results :laughing:
Your survey is however nicely laid out. Refreshing. I am no English teacher but was curious so I just took a look without actually doing the survey.
Wife had done an online-MBA with the University of Liverpool recently and it made a very good impression on me. So good luck for your research.
Geez… the time wify had spent on her research was extraordinary. Glad she is through with it now.

[quote=“bob_honest”]What finley said. The usual survey posted here might ask for English teachers in China and Taiwan to take part and mix up their results and a guy quitting because of overwork and a drunk guy having been fired for sleeping in class might end up with exactly the same results :laughing:
Your survey is however nicely laid out. Refreshing. I am no English teacher but was curious so I just took a look without actually doing the survey.
Wife had done an online-MBA with the University of Liverpool recently and it made a very good impression on me. So good luck for your research.
Geez… the time wify had spent on her research was extraordinary. Glad she is through with it now.[/quote]

Thank you. I need 150 more participants before I can start analyzing the data.
Please help me out by taking my survey.

Many questions deal with recruiters. I was not sure how to answer that. Does it mean the person who did the interview? Or is this survey specifically designed for cram school teachers who were recruited through those recruitment companies?

Recruiters can be in school or through an agency. If you were recruited directly from the school, just state that in the comments section.
Thank you.

I still need around 13 participants. Please take my survey.
Thank you.

[quote=“CampDavid”]I still need around 13 participants. Please take my survey.
Thank you.[/quote]
I meant 130