Please Vote For Me - Chinese documentary

Anyone seen ‘Please Vote For Me’?

It’s a Chinese documentary filmed in an elementary school in Wuhan, China. The filmmakers follow a 3rd-Grade class who are having their first elections for class monitor.

I was a little afraid that this might be some sort of propaganda piece trying to show how democracy is not good for China. Luckily it didn’t really have that message, but was really a well-made and fascinating doc.

This’ll be particularly interesting for those here who teach elementary children. The kids are great. Nasty at times, and there’s tears, but for the most part they’re having fun. Also very familiar is the doting parents coaching them, writing their speeches and even training them in the fine art of vote-buying :slight_smile:

Also a good one for Chinese learners - the Wuhan accent is much closer to Taiwan Guoyu than the Beijinghua we usually get in Chinese movies, and it’s largely Chinese for kids.

I really recommend this if you can find a copy.

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]Anyone seen ‘Please Vote For Me’?

It’s a Chinese documentary filmed in an elementary school in Wuhan, China. The filmmakers follow a 3rd-Grade class who are having their first elections for class monitor.

I was a little afraid that this might be some sort of propaganda piece trying to show how democracy is not good for China. Luckily it didn’t really have that message, but was really a well-made and fascinating doc.

This’ll be particularly interesting for those here who teach elementary children. The kids are great. Nasty at times, and there’s tears, but for the most part they’re having fun. Also very familiar is the doting parents coaching them, writing their speeches and even training them in the fine art of vote-buying :slight_smile:

Also a good one for Chinese learners - the Wuhan accent is much closer to Taiwan Guoyu than the Beijinghua we usually get in Chinese movies, and it’s largely Chinese for kids.

I really recommend this if you can find a copy.[/quote]

I saw it earlier this summer on the History channel in the US. It’s a PBS production and is extremely well done. The website is here and you can buy the DVD from them for 25 US.

I was really excited when I first noticed the movie, mainly because the idea of Communist officials allowing any kind of democratic election surprised me. Then I watched it and really enjoyed it, minus the sneaky conniving parents teaching their children to be sneaky and conniving.

Other than that, I would buy it if I had a chance. When it first aired on TV this summer, they didn’t have any copies of the DVD left because they sold out so quickly. I wonder if PBS ships to Taiwan?

Yea, It’s on netflix if anyone has it. Great documentary, I got a little bit too emotionally invested though. My candidate didn’t stand a chance. :cry:

Hehe - I downloaded this last night on you guys’ say so - and I was throroughly entertained!
That little fat fuck! Hehehe. I thought he was going to be a monster - but lo and behold, the monster turned out to be wearing sheep’s clothing early doors!
“I’m fat so I have trouble tucking my stomach in”! Gold Jerry! Gold!
Let your chi out from your belly!