Plenty of bars Lane 32, Shuangcheng St

Hi folks,

I arrived in Taipei 2,5 weeks ago and recently moved to DéHuì Street in Jhongshan District.

Just today I discoverd, that I live really close to a street, where plenty of bars are located (check “Lane 32, ShuāngChéng St, Jhongshan District” @ google street view).

Has anyone been there and can drop a line about the street/places?

…so far I’ve only been at Brass Monkey and Carnegies… liked both.

Ah, you stumbled across the Combat Zone!

(Oh, and please: it’s Zhongshan. With a Z. You’re welcome.) :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks for the hint. I just read full eight years of “the combat zone” thread. The description the place is seedy, meets also my first impression.

However, last qualified posts are 2-3 years old. Anyone been there recently or better still frequently visits the place?

… anytime I will go there anyway, but I am interested what to expect and which weekday to go.

I suggest you use the search bar to search for posts by the poster Wolvesmon. He often posts about places in the Combat Zone.

The Zone is still dying a slow death, but if you want to check it out, My Place is probably the liveliest place left.

I checked the place on Christmas Eve from 2 to 3.30 a.m. and passed the street yesterday around 22 p.m… Both times only few people were in the bars.

On Chrismas Eve, I went to there after giving myself some Dutch courage at one of the more “fancy” places. As all bars were still open I had plenty of choices (15-20 bars in apporx. 200m) and went firstly to Manila whereafter I had one for the road in MyPlace. Actually the location itself would be the place to be in my home country (Germany) and strongly reminded me to nightlife in Frankfurt (Sachsenhausen), Hamburg (Reeperbahn), Düsseldorf or Amsterdam as well. Unfortunately there were only few people around why I had some chats with the barkeepers and two other guests. All nice people but as I like it a little more crowded and beer is also as expensive as in the fancy places, I don’t think I am going to be there often. But if you are a group of 10-20 I think you can nevertheless have a lot of fun.

Hi Cobra, welcome to The Zone. But what did you expect @ 2am!! Most foreigners are home for Xmas.
Try Happy Hours @ 8pm or best today Sunday @ Farmhouse next door to My Place. Many Phillippino bars today cheap.

Christmas parties everywhere.

Beers @ 100 NT draft. Malibu West from 3pm- 9:30pm

Disco cheap beer. Packed.

Showing on the big screen in Mailbu West on one night. Clapton concert. JJ Cale. Bowie.

Where else!

I not by design found myself staying at the Imperial Hotel this past weekend, I was out and about until about 2 AM when I headed back to the hotel, I discovered a night market near my hotel so I decided to investigate (it was mostly stuff I would never eat) but on my walk back to the hotel I wandered into the B52. They had good loud music playing but the place was dead. There were roughly 10 people in there including the bar tender, most of them were Filipino and in a group, there was a black male who as I later guessed was paying for the company of the lady he was with. I sat at the bar and another Filipino woman asked me for my drink. It was cheap and much cheaper then where I had been (City Hall MRT Stop Area). Within a minute of my beer being placed in front of me the bar tender asked me if I wanted a girl to sit with me, she told me I had to buy her a drink. Now this is stupid to me because I have no trouble picking up women nor am I going to buy a girl drinks just so she talks to me. Fortunately as I now know I can legally drink in the street so I grabbed my beer and left. I’m guessing the girls were available for other things. I walked around the area a little more and found yet again another Filipino women this time outside her bar asking me to come in and buy her drinks (and possibly other stuff) . Now the place across from B52 seemed to have a few more people but not much.

My assumptions on the area would be that you can drink very cheap maybe 100 dollars a beer but your not going to meet too many Taiwanese hanging around there. The few Taiwanese I did see were males and older but mostly Filipino Bar Girls.

I got into the habit of going to Wala because I used to teach someone English there. Just across the lane from Wala is My Place/My Sport where you can watch various games on big-screen TV. A door or two along from that is Farmhouse, where they have live music. All these three pubs are “normal” ones, i.e. no girly business.

B52 is a hostess bar where what you drink isn’t the main thing you’re paying for. The price escalates pretty steeply if you start to avail yourself of the other services.