Plugs on wires!

I found my vacuum cleaner power cable had been extended in a hatchet job, typical in Taiwan. Naturally, the two halves separated, I’m left dangling two cables with a useless vacuum cleaner.

OK. Two questions.

If I decide to repair it myself, what do I need to do a halfway decent job?

If I decide to just use the shorter cable, where/how do I add one of those two pronged plugs? I don’t even know where to buy a plug like that! I can do the regular British three pronged plugs with fuses and everything, that’s easy. But these???

Kenneth

[quote=“KenTaiwan98”]I found my vacuum cleaner power cable had been extended in a hatchet job, typical in Taiwan. Naturally, the two halves separated, I’m left dangling two cables with a useless vacuum cleaner.

OK. Two questions.

If I decide to repair it myself, what do I need to do a halfway decent job?[/quote]
The best thing would be to solder the connection. Cover each wire with a heatshrink (those black rubber tubes that shrink when you heat them up) but make sure to put it over each wire first before you start soldering. When the soldering is done move it over the connection and heat it up (a lighter held close to it will do the trick). You can also buy insulated butt splices (that’s how they are called!) if you prefer crimp connections. Cover the entire cable with heatshrink or tape at the connection so that no individual wires are left exposed.

The two-pin plug should be easy to find, probably Best (formerly Daiichi) or TKEC (yellow 3C store) have it. For certain you can find it at the electronic stores in the South-West corner of Bade and Xinsheng (basement) or at those in the South-West corner of Zhonghua and Zhongxiao.
Typically they are white color and made of two halves screwed together. Tin the end of the wires and then screw them (pun intended), it’s as easy as the UK plug.

Thanks for answering my relatively low-tech question!

Appreciated.

I would be interested in knowing how this came to pass. Did the phantom hoover fucker-upper visit your house when you were out? :astonished:

Actually, I think it was an ‘inside’ job! We’re still conducting inquiries, several people have been held for questioning, but later released. It seems that they could account for their whereabouts.