Plumbing problem: tap (faucet) snapped off! Help!

I was trying to unscrew a leaky tap (faucet) on my patio, and decided that tapping it with a hammer would help loosen it. Of course, the tap then broke off from the pipe, leaving the thread of the tap lodged firmly in the thread of the pipe.

Anyone know the best way to get it out? I have to do it ASAP, as I had to turn off the water to do this. I’d rather not get a plumber in, because the patio is where eight of my dogs live.

Any suggestions? Marboulette?

If you have a thin chisel or something like that, you can stick it in the pipe, onto the broken thread and gently tap it with a hammer in the loosening direction. Eventually you’ll have enough thread out to grab it with a pair of pliers and turn it out. You might want to spray it with a penetrating oil such as Q-20 first, and let it stand for a while.

Or you could cover your index finger liberally with superglue and insert it into the hole. Once it sets, you just need to twist your hand and presto!

There is no cut-off below the sink?

I doubt there’s a sink on the patio.

It’s not one of those Taiwanese mini-sink patio things? Guess your screwed.

Get a wood bung. Ah huang’s shop with the slippers and paint for sale usually have one.

It’s just a tap on the sink. I’ll try the chisel idea first. Then I’ll try the finger and superglue trick. After that, I’m thinking I might try drilling through the edge of the broken tap part, being careful to not damage the thread of the pipe, and see if I can release it that way.

Thanks very. Any more suggestions?

Don’t do this without wearing safety glasses!!!

I know you’re crap at photography and all, but could you try to take a photo of the offending pipe? Can you access anything further along the pipe?

You guys are slipping… why are there no jokes about this needing to go in the health forum?

Shocked and Appalled, Tunbridge Wells

Be sure to keep it on ice until you get to the hospital. They’re more likely to be able to reattach it that way.

Can get pics later, and, yeah, I wouldn’t be so STUPID as to chisel anything without wearing anything less than a diving bell after your story.

And if you’re going to be doing it dressed like that, you’d best tuck your winkie in between your legs, too. Those chisels can be sharp.

Blowtorch the tap until it expands a bit. Then bang the wooden bung in and turn that to get the remnants of the pipe out. Then call the fire brigade and a plumber and go to casualty.

And don’t forget to spray WD40 on it while blowtorching it, to provide needed lubrication.

Put some trousers on and shave first so you look your best for the ER nurses.

Oh, and the next time the devil meets you and asks if you want good looks or brains, I guess you’ll have a different answer for him, won’t you, handsome?

[quote=“the chief”]Put some trousers on and shave first so you look your best for the ER nurses.

Oh, and the next time the devil meets you and asks if you want good looks or brains, I guess you’ll have a different answer for him, won’t you, handsome?[/quote]

So . . . he gave you three choices then, did he? :ponder:

[quote=“Stray Dog”][quote=“the chief”]Put some trousers on and shave first so you look your best for the ER nurses.

Oh, and the next time the devil meets you and asks if you want good looks or brains, I guess you’ll have a different answer for him, won’t you, handsome?[/quote]

So . . . he gave you three choices then, did he? :ponder:[/quote]

Booo, what did you, wake up American this morning??? :unamused:

Everything in Taiwan DIY can be accomplished with a jackhammer.

Put the tap in the freezer. After four hours take it out and smack it with a sledgehammer. It will explode, leaving the pipe exposed along with parts of your cerebrum, and some kitchen brickwork. Wear clean knickers for the ER. (Although how clean they will be after this procedure is debateable.)

Most plumbing stores here sell a tool that was designed for just this purpose. I don’t know what it’s called unfortunately, but it looks kind of like the head to a jack hammer except that it has has four metal fins that taper to a point instead of being solid metal. The backside is squared off so you turn it with a wrench. Basically you pound the arrowhead looking end into the pipe with a hammer then use vice-grips to turn the sqaured off end and the broken bit threads right out.