Plutonians denied right to self-determination

Hi, space guy here. Sorry, couldn’t find the intergalatic politics forum, this was the closest I could find.

The International Astronomical Union is meeting in Prague to determine the fate of Pluto’s recognition as a planet. Being an “International” and not “Interplanetary” union, Pluto has not been invited to defend itself. Why is Pluto being asked to give up its planetary status without being consulted ?
http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~mbrown/whatsaplanet/

But if Pluto is allowed to stay then surely Xena must then also be allowed to join ?

Now that’s what I call a heavenly body :howyoudoin:

This is as good a place as any for me to ask (again) why only humans ever win Miss Universe. I mean… come ON!

Shouldn’t this be in the Inter-planetary Politics forum?

Edit: Oops! I guess I should have read the OP first :blush:

So, if Pluto is demoted, what is it demoted to? Planetoid? Planetlette? Planet-lite?
Bit-of-rock-in-space-that’s-bigger-than-most-asteroids-but-not-quite-a-planet?

[quote=“Taffy”]So, if Pluto is demoted, what is it demoted to? Planetoid? Planetlette? Planet-lite?
Bit-of-rock-in-space-that’s-bigger-than-most-asteroids-but-not-quite-a-planet?[/quote]

“Moon”, maybe. It’s like the difference between “mountain” and “hill”. The moon used to be a planet, you know, until some know-it-all decided otherwise.

[quote=“Taffy”]So, if Pluto is demoted, what is it demoted to? Planetoid? Planetlette? Planet-lite?
Bit-of-rock-in-space-that’s-bigger-than-most-asteroids-but-not-quite-a-planet?[/quote]“Kuiper belt object”, coz it’s in the Kuiper Belt, innit.

Ceres used to be considered a planet for about 50 years before they found dozens more like it and it was demoted to Asteroid.

[quote=“IrishStu”]“Moon”, maybe. It’s like the difference between “mountain” and “hill”. The moon used to be a planet, you know, until some know-it-all decided otherwise.[/quote]Moon ? What are you waffling on about ? a moon orbits a planet, no matter how big it is. Luna (our moon) is bigger than Pluto, but it not a planet. But you’re right about the mountain/hill analogy.

Man, I hope he bites somebody.

Pluto has 3 moons though. I can’t think of another asteroid that has 3 moons.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]

W-w-what? B-b-but I saw it on a documentary on the sci-fi channel. At least I thought it was a documentay. Sci-fi series are documentaries, aren’t they?

[quote=“Dangermouse”]Pluto has 3 moons though. I can’t think of another asteroid that has 3 moons.[/quote]Yes, Sharon, Tracy and Mandy.

I think lots of asteroids orbit each other. In binary (and trinary etc…) star systems the stars orbit each other. Pluto and Charon could be said to orbit each other (The centre of Charon’s orbit is not inside Pluto)

This still doesn’t explain the human/earth bias that we see everyday. How many martians are in high ranking positions in the US government ? Not more than half a dozen…

I’m assuming that you refer above to our own (Earth’s) moon.

It has seemed to me for quite some time that we have for far too long rudely disrespected our moon. Why has mankind as of yet neglected to name our moon. We name the moons of the other planets in our solar system. Why have we not yet named our own moon. Its like having a dog and calling it simply, “dog” while referring to all of our neighbor’s dogs by various names specific to each and every one of them. How long will our moon suffer this indignity?

Its really quite odd, considering the amount of poetry and art that we Earthlings have dedicated to our moon. Even more so considering the affect we believe that our moon has on our planet (tides) and our selves (werewolves, anyone?).

I think we ought to start a Forumosa Poll to name our moon, and then send the winning name on to some important star-gazing organization and suggest that they finally name our beloved moon.

What say you?

Perhaps something like one of these:

Lainey - Bright-related. Diminutive of Elaine (Old French) bright, shining light…

Sorcha - meaning Bright. (Irish, Gaelic) Bright, shining…

Alana - Bright-related. (Old German, Hawaiian) Precious; awakening. … Also possibly from the Gaelic Ailin meaning “little rock” or from Elaine (Old French) “bright, shining” or Helen (Greek) light…

[quote]Why has mankind as of yet neglected to name our moon. We name the moons of the other planets in our solar system. Why have we not yet named our own moon. Its like having a dog and calling it simply, “dog” while referring to all of our neighbor’s dogs by various names specific to each and every one of them. How long will our moon suffer this indignity?[/quote]It does have a name, Luna. And the sun’s name is Sol, and the earth’s name is Terra.

Are you sure? Some site that I forgot now to get the address of says this:

The Moon is Earth’s only natural satellite. It has no formal name other than “The Moon” although it is occasionally called Luna (Latin for moon) to distinguish it from the generic “moon”.

Calling my dog “Go” is simply a translation of “dog”. I think our moon deserves a real name of its own.

Tigerman, our moon already has a name, it’s Pete. Tom named it hisself back in 1979.

Poor old Pluto eh. It’s only been a planet for 76 years. You know what done for Pluto? It was old 2003UB313. Yes, that catchy title is hard to forget. This majestic lump is bigger than the odd and forgettably named ‘Pluto.’ It would seem that moons do not a planet make, or do they? Let’s leave it to the bods in Prague, and then continue to call it a planet anyway.

Really we should be RE-naming 2003UB313, as that will now have to be classified as a planet, Tom imagines.

I suggest:

1. Planet Willis.
  2. Planet Accrington Stanley.
  3. Planet Bellendos.

[quote=“TomHill”]Tigerman, our moon already has a name, it’s Pete. Tom named it hisself back in 1979.

[/quote]

Damn, I was going to suggest some cheese-related name.

The moon for planet status!!!

Pete?

TomHill,

I don’t think “Pete” is an appropriate name for our moon. Pete is masculine, for one thing. And anyway, I don’t care for the name “Pete”.

Can we please try again?

Planets and moons are usually named after characters in classical literature, so it would have to be Planet Accrington Stanley

They’re considering increasing the number to 12 planets. With Pluto, Ceres and 2003 UB313 forming a new sub-category of “plutons”. But that still means Pluto will be demoted from a “proper” planet.

And what of Xena, the warrior ‘asteroid/planet/orbitingt thingy/jellyplanet’? Is she to be re-classified?

I hope they find a planet made of plastic. That will mess with the order of things.

And what of Xena, the warrior ‘asteroid/planet/orbitingt thingy/jellyplanet’? Is she to be re-classified? [/quote]The offical name is “2003 UB313”, they haven’t come up with a proper name yet, so you can still sumbit “Accrington Stanley”.
Have you reported your lastest “discovery” to them yet ? That has a graviational field that pulls in everything around it, so it should be allowed in too.