PM me if you have any info/leads

I am looking for a job from overseas (because I’m not working and don’t have the money to just fly over and look around for a job …); I have a BA, CELTA, am a native speaker and have lots of experience, but that experience has mostly been teaching adults. I am aware of the market in Taiwan with regard to age (of the students) but would like to avoid teaching pre-K or K.

Here’s what I’m looking for: A job in Taipei. My second choice is Taichung I guess. Kaohsiung looks nice, but I hear the pickings there are slim. I love big cities and would live in NY City if I could afford it if that helps to clarify. I don’t mind not actually living or working in the center of the city as long as my daily commute one-way is not longer than 30-35 minutes on a train and the transportation is pretty reliable.

That’s pretty much my criteria. If you have any leads, the reason I am posting on here is because I’d of course like to avoid signing up with one of the huge language mills since they seem to require that you teach kindies and toddlers.

If you do receive any PMs, my hunch is that they will be from recruiters. I’ve never used a recruiter; some say they’re OK if you find an honest one, others advise avoiding them like the plague. Search the forums for more info about that.

Before I came in 2008 I looked for job postings through tealit.com and from general Google searches. Only a few of the places I contacted responded, and they all replied, “Contact us when you’re in Taiwan.” It was only after I bit the bullet and came to Taiwan that I was able to actually get interviews and get hired.

Searching for a teaching job while in Taiwan seems to be the method that results in gaining employment, probably because employers have no way of knowing if you’ll actually end up coming to Taiwan or not. Of course, taking the plunge seems scary and possibly a fruitless waste of money. On the other hand, while in-country you can pound the pavement and submit your résumé at every little buxiban you find, get a firsthand look at the places you’re applying at, and also get a general idea of how life is in Taiwan.

The qualifications you list are what buxibans are looking for, which is to your advantage. You mentioned that you are low on funds, and though I don’t mean to discourage you in any way, the reality is that you need enough money to support yourself during your job search which could take several weeks. Hopefully it won’t, but you never know—the last thing you need is the stress of wondering if you have enough cash to wash your clothes to look presentable at interviews, or even having enough money to get to interviews.

There’s no need to teach kindy (which is illegal) as there are plenty of buxibans for school aged kids. Adult-only buxibans are a rarity so you most likely will have to teach kids, and that’s where the hours/money is as you already mentioned. At my school, my classes are about 60% adults and 40% kids, so I consider myself fortunate.

I do wish the best for you, and hopefully someone can PM you with some leads. Feel free to PM me if you want to ask me any specific questions.

The above post is 100% correct. There is almost a zero percent chance of finding a job from overseas, unless you go to a school like Hess, who mainly recruit from overseas, as nobody with a weeks experience would work for them.
There are agents, but generally they will screw you at every opportunity.

I figured as much and thank you. I’ve been through all this research and through interviews before. The stumbling block has always been being broke, but that’s on me.

[quote=“Osaki522”]I am looking for a job from overseas (because I’m not working and don’t have the money to just fly over and look around for a job …); I have a BA, CELTA, am a native speaker and have lots of experience, but that experience has mostly been teaching adults. I am aware of the market in Taiwan with regard to age (of the students) but would like to avoid teaching pre-K or K.

Here’s what I’m looking for: A job in Taipei. My second choice is Taichung I guess. Kaohsiung looks nice, but I hear the pickings there are slim. I love big cities and would live in NY City if I could afford it if that helps to clarify. I don’t mind not actually living or working in the center of the city as long as my daily commute one-way is not longer than 30-35 minutes on a train and the transportation is pretty reliable.

That’s pretty much my criteria. If you have any leads, the reason I am posting on here is because I’d of course like to avoid signing up with one of the huge language mills since they seem to require that you teach kindies and toddlers.[/quote]

Dream on, man. People in hell want ice water. Either come here and look for a job on the fly or sign up with one of the huge language mills. If you’re broke off your rear-end then it will be tough going here for at least the first six months or so. Tough it out at one of the sweatshops chains.