Poaching Staff

Do you think it is okay for bars/restaurants to poach each others staff?

• Yes of course it is
  • No, it is underhand and unacceptable behaviour

0 voters

Do you think it is right to poach staff? or do you think it is unacceptable and underhand behaviour?

This used to happen quite a bit back in the old days when I worked bar & restie at home.
I myself was poached into a much better gig once.
Seems to me the same argument can be applied here as with a potentially cheating spouse, specifically, if everything’s OK at home, why would they be susceptible to the enticement?

Bit sneaky I suppose, but that’s life.

I thought this was going to be a thread about poaching eggs, etc, btw.

Of course it is – at least, it’s as acceptable as it is in any other business. I’ve been poached from a restaurant and from a magazine. It happens all over, I’m sure. I suppose its just that much more galling here as the “raw materials” are so crap that you have to invest so much time into training only to see them whisked away for an extra NT$30/hour or whatever.

I thought this was going to be a thread about poaching eggs, etc, btw.[/quote]

Frying as well no doubt! hit me Bob!

Oh, wait a minute, is this poll meant to determine if we think it’s acceptable to quickly cook staff members by immersion in boiling water or stock?

'Cause I got no problems with that, either…

Seems to me the same argument can be applied here as with a potentially cheating spouse, specifically, if everything’s OK at home, why would they be susceptible to the enticement?[/quote]

Noted Chief,
It does however appear from the responses, that this type of behaviour is considered acceptable, (while noting that those responding, thus far, were the ones being ‘poached’ (fried, scrambled or boiled!), which of course it would be to them! and why would it not?

I can only batter and fry them chief!

[quote=“fryingscotsman”]Noted Chief,
It does however appear from the responses, that this type of behaviour is considered acceptable, (while noting that those responding, thus far, were the ones being ‘poached’ (fried, scrambled or boiled!), which of course it would be to them! and why would it not?[/quote]

Yeah, and it’s kind of worth noting, I think, and again this is more in line with my experience as a pub/bar guy than in restaurant specifically, but the various folks who were engaging in the poaching were rather typical bar management types.
That is, backstabbing two-faced mercenaries.
So one sort of knew what to expect.
Even so, it was always certainly the mark of a professional to, unless extremely dissatisfied with one’s current position, go to a present boss to report the offer, if only to give the boss the chance to meet it.

Poaching … ? Never thought about it … stupid me … but now you’ll see me all over Taipei next couple of months … looking for staff to poach … but isn’t it vegetables that are poached to? or fish? or …?

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Poaching usually occuirs when an establishment with a lack of confidence in itself and its staff attempts to upgrade itself. Bisiness sucks…

…Oh fuck it…I am tired of explaining hoepitality logostics online.

So I’ll answer questions in person but I am against it for many reasons… I cannot be arsed to go into it…

Bob

[quote=“TpeBob”]Poaching usually occuirs when an establishment with a lack of confidence in itself and its staff attempts to upgrade itself. Bisiness sucks…

…Oh fuck it…I am tired of explaining hoepitality logostics online.

So I’ll answer questions in person but I am against it for many reasons… I cannot be arsed to go into it…

Bob[/quote]

Soooo…you looking for a new gig???
Let’s talk…

Where is the Gig Chief and are you playing?

[quote=“TpeBob”]Poaching usually occurs when an establishment with a lack of confidence in itself and its staff attempts to upgrade itself. Bisiness sucks…

Bob[/quote]

This is true. But sometimes it is good as the boss sees his dream being pissed away by infidel employees.

I can NOT imagine TpeBob has these troubles though. :notworthy: