Poagao's Book

My interview with Taiwan Talk will air Monday and Tuesday on ICRT FM 100. The first half will air Monday at 8am during the news segment and again at 6pm also during the news segment; the second half will air on Tuesday at the same times. If you prefer to listen over the internet you can find a live stream of ICRT’s broadcast at the top of their home page here: icrt.com.tw/

The audio online will be posted on Tuesday, so if you cannot listen live you will be able to find it online in two places. First you can find it at the ICRT website here (the website does not seem to work with Chrome, so you should use Firefox or Internet Explorer): icrt.com.tw/newsroom_podcast … =6&ptId=24

To get the audio, click on the “subscribe" button. It will take you to another page - click on the title of your show and this will let you download the audio.

iTunes page: itunes.apple.com/mz/podcast/tai … d572456881

iTunes takes a long time to update, so it may take a whole day before it shows up online.

I’m currently on chapter 13. Fascinating read.

I read the damn thing straight through. Despite having work to do. Darn you, Poagao.

It’s a good read.

Thanks, and I hope you enjoyed it.

Read the first two chapters free. Now I need to know the rest… (that really works for making readers interested) :sunglasses:

Arriving in Taiwan in 1989 brings back all sorts of memories, especially when you get off at Taipei Railway Station and looking at Taipei for the first time. Happened to me exactly like that a bit later in November that year. Didn’t realize the station was still being built that summer.

The ICRT interview is online now.

[quote=“hannes”]Read the first two chapters free. No I need to know the rest… (that really works for making readers interested) :sunglasses:

Arriving in Taiwan in 1989 brings back all sorts of memories, especially when you get off at Taipei Railway Station and looking at Taipei for the first time. Happened to me exactly like that a bit later in November that year. Didn’t realize the station was still being built that summer.[/quote]

Yeah, that was a lot of it for me as well. Though I’m female and obviously had a very different experience as a result, a lot of the psychology (inner monologue) and of course the Taiwan of that time were all familiar to me. Not to scare anyone but sometimes I was like “Oh, I’m not the only one who felt/thought that way”.

I don’t find anything familiar with respect to early experiences in taiwan but it’s a compelling read none-the-less so far. Made the mistake of buying You Don’t Know China at the same time and now am paralized with reading indecision.

The book is up on Goodreads, if anyone uses that:

goodreads.com/book/show/222 … t-the-gate

Just finished reading. Very enjoyable. Well done, poagao. Nicely paced with a couple well-placed long narrative arcs such as the conflict with Zhang Fang (who I would have ratted out on). :laughing:

Also well done to Camphor Press. I found only a single error in the book.

One too many! The beauty of e-books is that we can make corrections rapidly, so let us know the mistake and we’ll fix it right away.

On another note, we’re very happy to announce that Barbarian at the Gate is now also available from the iBookstore. So if you have a Mac, an iPad, or an iPhone, and don’t yet have a copy of this great book, now’s the time.

Also for those who missed it T.C. was interviewed by Keith Menconi on ICRT recently about the book and his life story. You can listen to the full episode of Taiwan Talk online: an excellent way to spend 18 minutes of your day.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]Just finished reading. Very enjoyable. Well done, poagao. Nicely paced with a couple well-placed long narrative arcs such as the conflict with Zhang Fang (who I would have ratted out on). :laughing:

Also well done to Camphor Press. I found only a single error in the book.[/quote]

By all means, let Camphor know about any errors you found, they can fix them. As for Zhang, yeah, at one point I would have as well. But easy on the spoilers! :wink:

I was interviewed by Taiwan Ho! recently:

taiwanho.com/ex-american-taiwanese-army/

Just want to thank those who wrote nice reviews on the book’s amazon.com page (if you’re on here, that is).

You’re other post reminded of this. I searched high and low through the book again for the error but couldn’t find it. However I recall it was two “the” in a row so it should be easy to do a search of the word file to find.

I haven’t gotten the book yet but was able to read online where TC recalls his year abroad at Tunghai U. I attended the program that same year; in fact, it’s where we first met. I think TC is somewhat unfair in his recollection, evaluation and judgment of his fellow students, and paints us all with a rather broad brush. Sure, we had our share of yahoos, but I also recall several dedicated students who genuinely appreciated Taiwan, and who made significant strides in Chinese language. Two of our classmates, in fact, placed in the top 5 of the island-wide Mandarin contest that year (50+ participants).

TC was also not the only one who took ‘real’ classes with Chinese students in the university. I attended at least two courses and I am aware of a couple of others who did the same. Hard to believe all that’s 25 years in the past now, but I want to set the record straight as much as possible, insignificant though it may be in the final analysis.

After many requests and a lot of hard work behind the scenes, we’re delighted to announce that the paperback version of Barbarian at the Gate is now available for pre-order. From now until 15 March you can pay for your copy and get free postage when the book ships at the end of March. After this period postage will be $4/NT$120ish.

Pre-orders are only available through our website, so head over there now to reserve your copy for $13.99 (about NT$440). As a bonus it also has a superb new cover with art by Steve Kim.

Order the book

[quote=“Camphor Press”]After many requests and a lot of hard work behind the scenes, we’re delighted to announce that the paperback version of Barbarian at the Gate is now available for pre-order. From now until 15 March you can pay for your copy and get free postage when the book ships at the end of March. After this period postage will be $4/NT$120ish.

Pre-orders are only available through our website, so head over there now to reserve your copy for $13.99 (about NT$440). As a bonus it also has a superb new cover with art by Steve Kim.

Order the book
[/quote]
I just went to order the book, but there are no fields to enter my payment information. When I click “Place Order” it doesn’t take me to any kind of page to enter my payment information, it only produces the error that you see at the top.