Pokemon Go Taiwan discussion

Lols so you live in a country and don’t have access to what’s going on in other countries?

No I don’t, how could I? My opinions in this thread are based on personal experience. i.e. I’ve seen with my own eyes mobs of people chasing Pokies and many individuals glued to their smartphones. Is that so hard to understand? If anyone currently overseas wants to contribute to the discussion then well and good.

Now I have a purpose in my life.

Uhm… how can I do this? the GPS jammer is more expensive than what I thought :smiley:

Alright, a bit of info for those who are naturally curious.

The GPS frequency is 1.575 GHz, while GLONASS is 1.605 GHz, and the signals are considered weak.

UHF radios cover a range from 300 to 3000 MHz.

So, if I’m not missing anything, you can mess both signals with a couple of UHF walkies (which I have).

One possible problem to achieve this is if the GPS satellites are using some special encoding that makes “safe” the transmission, but still I’m hoping to see some results some time soon (I’m not sure when I will overcome my laziness and move my ass to the park…)

Go to a high zombie count area, yell, “SNORLAX” and start running.

For your convenience, the Xin Zhuang Baseball stadium would be a good place to start looking.

It’s not the baseball stadium but the sports center where most of the people hang up.

But no… I’m supposed to be a tech guy (even I don’t even try xD), so I should use technology for preventing what I see as another step towards the abyss…

@finley, @hansioux, you guys know one or two things about radio frequencies, right? I have read something like it’s the VHF and not the UHF band radios what can interfere with GPS receptors… does that make sense? :stuck_out_tongue:

last i heard a jammer costs under 30 US bucks. disrupting gps signals is illegal and may get in the way of emergency calls and ambulances. so it’s not recommended.

You mean disrupting it with a GPS jammer, or with a radio using the same frequency than GPS?

why would ambulances use the same band than GPS? O_o

Since the early 2000s, every cell phone is required to have a GPS sensor installed because when people call 911 (or 119/110 here), the authorities want to be able to tell where the emergency is taking place (called e911 in the US at the time). That mandate and gradually increased requirement for accuracy are what enable GPS navigation and games like pokemon go today.

So when someone uses a GPS jammer, near by emergency calls from a cell phone would not provide any location info. Also, ambulance and police dispatch often rely on their GPS working to get to their destination, a jammer also interferes with them getting to those who requires help.

Oh, ok. I thought you were talking about their radio bands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRtiYMbw8nQ

it’s starting

2 Likes

List of top ten places in Taiwan to grab Pokemon:
https://tw.news.yahoo.com/繼北投公園後-最新抓寶熱點在這裡-002608889.html#0829HE

1. Bus 307
  2. NTU
  3. Taipei Zoo
  4. Number 4 Park in New Taipei City
  5. Songshan Airport
  6. Global Mall in Banciao
  7. Fisherman’s Wharf in Tamsui
  8. Lee Foo Village Theme Park
  9. Kaohsiung Art Museum
  10. Ghost House in Yiayi

Please take a look at this image from Zhongli’s Library.
http://udn.com/news/story/10178/1925397

I have to say, Hsinchu’s Nanliao harbor is the place to be. Nanliao has at least 5 Lapras everyday.

I was honestly, contemplating Bus 307 tonight, as I’m exhausted from the weekend and it’ll only cost me 30NT. However, I won’t get many steps on my step counter.

How is Beitou not even on there? Is this after the app update?

Songshan Airport? This I have to check. Last time I passed, gf was checking the map and said there’s only one or two Pokestops there.

Beitou should be number 1 on the list

Some guy almost hit me with his car because he had headphones on and was playing…

May have to start carrying my bowling ball around

The crowds are becoming a little smaller in the popular spots.

Probably because school started. Kids not allowed out!

I definitely noticed the shortage of zombies during lunch near my work place.

He touches you, that’s 5k. Anything over that, especially on a pedestrian crossing, add zeros, more kachin kachin. Of course, also a hospital stay, but I mean, if the worst happens, as long as you are not dead, you can make him feel the pain…where it really hurts: his wallet. Hopefully, there won’t be a tragedy like in Japan, but a wake up call. Just don’t slap his hood: lean over like those fake accident people and watch him turn Sorlax green/purple. You slap, you pay.