Pokemon Go Taiwan discussion

Most people I see playing are full grown adults, big bunch of middle aged folk. In office attire.

I still mind it is so … place specific. So many people!

It seems like they’ve made the game much more sociable, which in my opinion, is a good move. That raid ticket is pretty genius in terms of creating revenue.

The game would now be easier to play with a group of people. Many players over 50 seem to do this. Younger people organize themselves using Line. Many are forced to talking to others standing around if they are already in a raid to figure out if there are enough available players.

There’s a pokestop outside of house. On the weekend I can see them all out there playing.

I see it but I don’t get it. Is he getting points for himself or playing for other people or what?

9ee82db

…and I thought 2-3 were excessive.

I guess it beats sitting on their asses all day at home.

So they had a big Pokemon event in Tainan last week and I am trying to write about it with a straight face. Good heavens, 600,000 people descending on a park… The horror, the horror…

https://udn.com/news/story/7326/3460359

And way too many furriners if you ask me.

The famous abei brought 15 cellphones and 9 extra chargers, for a total of 20 hours straight playing. OTOH, someone brought 17 cellphones…

https://udn.com/news/story/10222/3459249?from=udn-referralnews_ch2artbottom

https://udn.com/news/story/7326/3460695

I was one of them… Although I didn’t go to the main event area.

My coworkers do not believe it was that many people, because Tainan itself is barely over 2 million people. Having seen the crowds in taipei, and the views over there just at the main venue, I do believe it is possible there were that many.

BTW, I am trying to find the name of the… things/creatures you guys catch. Pokemons? As in “there were rare whatchamacalits to be found in Tainan”.

Yes, but the plural is also “Pokemon.”

Taking a cue from our pals in Taiwan News, I wrote “game characters”.

Never, repeat never, take cues from Taiwan News!

Now now. The copy editor from Taiwan News would like to remind you it’s queue. Oops, sorry. “Its queue.”

3 Likes

What attracted so many people is that Pokemon safari Tainan offered rare color off varieties, and a New Zealand region specific pokemon. People who don’t want to fly to New Zealand to capture that one pokemon could just goto Tainan and capture one with ease.

It’s not really 600,000 people. 500,000 visits over five days.

Did you have to write about it too? :disappointed_relieved:

God no. But 600,000 in a park at one time is stretching it.

What I understand is that they had over 60,000 people in the main venues in one day, plus 40k players in the other places, per day. As far as my Chinese goes, the number the Tainan Tourist Office gave is people.

The most important number anyways is money, and it was raining NTDs all around:

Over the weekend, Tainan’s scenic spots, hotels, and restaurants were all inundated with treasure-hunting trainers. Lee Wen-hsiung (李文雄), the owner of the popular shaved ice store Lily Fruit (莉莉水果) told TVBS that business had increased by 20 percent because the Confucius Temple, which is across the street from his shop, was one of the major hunting grounds visited by trainers.

Which is what I have been thinking: we live next to a Pokemon gym, so I think there must be a way to extract those NTDs from people´s pockets and put them into mine, since I have to suffer from the crowds and extra noise/mafan.

7qNTrHN

2 Likes

So confused when I saw a big horde of people congregated in one place. Peeked into one of their phones, they are playing Pokemon.