Pokemon Go Taiwan discussion

HK just got it from I heard. Can’t be too long until it comes to Taiwan.

Yeah, surely can’t be long.

My big worry is all the gyms will be taken by high-level players who have been geo spoofing. That’s apparently an issue in Japan with most of the gyms captured by higher level players who’d levelled up by spoofing their GPS location or something.

[quote=“The_Ghost”]Yeah, surely can’t be long.

My big worry is all the gyms will be taken by high-level players who have been geo spoofing. That’s apparently an issue in Japan with most of the gyms captured by higher level players who’d levelled up by spoofing their GPS location or something.[/quote]

That will be an issue everywhere in Asia, but we’re just going to have to live with it.

The last Niantic game, Ingress, is pretty good at preventing people from geo-spoofing. I think all GPS apps are blocked from the game. The only way I can think of is getting a GPS signal generator, and hook it directly to the phone’s SMB connector, if modern phones even have those. Or maybe using a USB GPS antenna and then fake signals through some computer softerware. Either way, it isn’t easy, and Niantics suspends accounts that are obviously geo-spoofing.

i’m quite looking forward to running down the next idiot who steps onto the road in front of me. Our university is an absolute hot-spot, of course, and full of Pokey fools. Even worse than regular tourists.

Bad news,

Apparently it’s not going to be released in Taiwan because some moron over here is suing Niantic for a patent breach.

ettoday.net/news/20160728/74 … fb_et_news

The gist of it is

“Pokemon Go is getting released in many countries, and is very popular, but Taiwanese players are still waiting for it to be released. The reason why the release is delayed may be because game developer and lawyer Wang Xin has sued Niantic over Ingress. In 2008 he got a patent for the AR game concept, which includes mobile apps, tablet apps, computer games, etc. In 2015, he found out that Ingress violated his patent, and wanted Ingress to be removed from stores. Niantic did contact him, and he wants 10M NTD as compensation. There’s going to be a court case in August. Because Pokemon Go and Ingress are the same type of game (AR), Wang Xin is speculating that the reason why our release is delayed is because he sued Niantic over Ingress, but he hopes he can resolve this issue, because he wants to play Pokemon Go too.”

I hope Wang Xin treads in dog shit every day of his life.

[quote=“The_Ghost”]Bad news,

Apparently it’s not going to be released in Taiwan because some moron over here is suing Niantic for a patent breach.

ettoday.net/news/20160728/74 … fb_et_news

The gist of it is

“Pokemon Go is getting released in many countries, and is very popular, but Taiwanese players are still waiting for it to be released. The reason why the release is delayed may be because game developer and lawyer Wang Xin has sued Niantic over Ingress. In 2008 he got a patent for the AR game concept, which includes mobile apps, tablet apps, computer games, etc. In 2015, he found out that Ingress violated his patent, and wanted Ingress to be removed from stores. Niantic did contact him, and he wants 10M NTD as compensation. There’s going to be a court case in August. Because Pokemon Go and Ingress are the same type of game (AR), Wang Xin is speculating that the reason why our release is delayed is because he sued Niantic over Ingress, but he hopes he can resolve this issue, because he wants to play Pokemon Go too.”

I hope Wang Xin treads in dog shit every day of his life.[/quote]

He can go to hell, Everyone in Taiwan needs to see his picture and name to know it’s this fucker that is ruining the whole thing.

Yeah, but did they infringe on his patent to make Pokemon GO. that shit’s real, y’know.

Sounds like a real life patent troll. He got a patent for AR in 2008? Nonsense. And he’s suing Pokemon in 2016? I don’t even play Pokemon and I find this offensive. He is holding Taiwan’s Pokemon players hostage to try and squeeze out some money in a settlement.

Word is he’s a patent troll?

Not sure what one of them is exactly but, I’m assuming it means the type of guy who claims patent violations and goes through lawsuits in the vain hope that they pull off despite their being the flimsiest possible patent violation?

Word is he’s a patent troll?

Not sure what one of them is exactly but, I’m assuming it means the type of guy who claims patent violations and goes through lawsuits in the vain hope that they pull off despite their being the flimsiest possible patent violation?[/quote]
A patent troll is a lawyer (or sometimes a team of inventors and lawyers) who seek the broadest patents they can get. Then instead of working in the tech industry and so-on, they sue people for violating their patents.

The term is probably over-used, but when a guy claims he has a patent for something as broad as AR and he got it 8 years before suing someone, he sounds like a patent troll.

This guy in particular sounds like a Taiwanese lawyer, so suing in Taiwan keeps the ball in his court and increases his chances of getting a settlement out of them. If he really felt his patent on AR was enforceable, he could have sued someone else over it a long time ago.

When Niantics approached him for a settlement (for the Ingress law suit), he asked for 100 million NTD. So yeah, he’s the very definition of a patent troll.

This is his patent by the way

[quote]採用無線的網際網路或網內網路,並整合衛星定位系統,使一攜帶型裝置可以在無線上網的狀態下回傳包括定位資料等資訊給主機伺服器,主機伺服器取得該資訊後得以執行多種需定位資料的程式功能如線上網路遊戲、旅遊購物服務、線上定點解任務等,並使主機與攜帶型裝置或不同攜帶型裝置間進行互動以進行程式功能。

Allowing a mobile device to transmit data, including but not limited to location data, back to the main server, by using wireless or lan network and incorporating the GPS system, so that the server can utilize the said data and apply them in programs that requires location data, such as online games, shopping services, and solving tasks at a location while online. The server and the said mobile device, or other mobile devices can communicate with one another to allow the program to progress.
[/quote]

That is casting a wide net. That’s a net so large that even AGPS functionalities required by most government for e911 purposes can be considered as infringing his patent. However, if he patented it back in 2006, I’m afraid prior art already existed back in 2002.

FREE THE POKEMEN

[quote=“hansioux”]
That is casting a wide net. That’s a net so large that even AGPS functionalities required by most government for e911 purposes can be considered as infringing his patent. However, if he patented it back in 2006, I’m afraid prior art already existed back in 2002.[/quote]

to back up my statement, here’s a paper from the University of Nottingham on location-based games published in 2003 on IEEE’s Pervasive Computing.

Coping with uncertainty in a location-based game
blasttheory.co.uk/wp-conten … tainty.pdf

Good day, patent troll.

pokemon go is here!!!

yup, been playing it the whole morning

People are already like a ridiculous level here. IDK is they came back from the summer from the states or have been geo spoofing, but it’s putting me off the game when they have such a huge head start on the poke gyms.

not sure how the system works yet, haven’t had my first gym battle, but if it’s designed anything like Ingress, levels shouldn’t be too big of a factor.

The Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA), meanwhile, announced that the game is banned in its stations, on its trains, at railroad crossings and along its railway tracks. It said it will ask railway police to intervene if passengers refuse to cooperate.

http://focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201608060014.aspx

Hope they do the same for the MRT.

Hopefully not too many sheeple will get run over.