Polar bear replacement?

What favorite animal would you choose?

• Llama
  • Dugong
  • Neither, polar bears are just fine

0 voters

I’ve been into polar bears for some time now, and it strikes me that I probably need a change. It’s not that I’m ‘over’ polar bears, mind you, but I just want to have a look around for a new favorite animal. I’ve got two in mind, they include

The Llama. Fantastic eyes, with a kind of hypnotic stare. SO took me to a llama farm back in Australia about 12 months ago and I came away feeling like I’d just had some kind of religious experience. They’re quiet and furry, and with none of the blood-lust of the PB. They have a good sense of balance and don’t fall off things very much (like mountains, where many of them live in South America).

The Dugong. These guys just hang around eating grubs and stuff on the bottom of lagoons. I’m interested in them because they’re slow. I’m slow too, and suspect that if there is such a thing as samsara/reincarnation, I was probably a dugong in a past life. It makes sense to have your favorite animal be the thing you were last time you were here…

Any thoughts?

Choose the dugong.

They don’t puke in your face. Not unless you stick your fingers down one’s throat, I suppose.

Is a dugong a manatee? If so, they get my vote, as I met some once in Belize. Magical. :sunglasses:

I’d choose the dugong over the llama. If Dugongs spit they’re already in water. I believe the dugong is a slightly diferent beast to the manatee. Dugong’s are found in this part of the world. This kid’s website may be of use to people who want to know the difference.

cep.unep.org/kids/cb04.html

Have you considered the lemur?

Or the meerkat?

Or maybe the otter?

The meerkat looks good. Thanks for the tip. Any idea how I can include meerkats in the poll? Seems once you set it you’re stuck with it. Sad, as the little fellas are kind of cute with their arms hanging down in front like that. Apparently they have a bit of trouble with hypertension though… not sure I’m looking for an animal with stress problems…

You are so the meer cat!

HG

well I am Canadian so I have to say lets change it to either a moose or a beaver(the kind with four legs and big flat tail that lives in water and builds stuff with wood). Plus baby beavers are really cute and no one gives rodents enough credit.

What about a tapeworm? They’re very cute, quiet, you can carry them around and they won’t get lost, no special dietary requirements… the perfect pet, really.

ya, but don’t they get really long after awile. Or is that a different kind of worm. You know, the one where they have to remove it by slicing into the skin and then slowly, day by day wind it around a stick so that it doesn’t break off inside the body. It can get to be something like 2m in length.“Some tapeworms have reached lengths of more than ten meters (thirty feet) with a lifespan, inside a host, of thirty years or more.”

But think of the bonding you’ll have.
And those wind-around-the-stick-type worms are much lower class. They’re the elephantitis ones. Difficult to train, feisty, a bit of a handful really. Especially after a polar bear.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]You are so the meer cat!

HG[/quote]

On so many levels. He looks like them and the stress thing…

I’m sorry to state the obvious, but I’d be really annoyed if my boyf said that beavers were his fave ANIMAL.

Oh I don’t know, stating the obvious if your boyfriend was no fan of beaver it could prove equally problematic. :wink:

HG

It sounds to me like you have a clear case of by-polar disorder.

[quote=“guangtou”]The meerkat looks good. Thanks for the tip. Any idea how I can include meerkats in the poll? Seems once you set it you’re stuck with it. Sad, as the little fellas are kind of cute with their arms hanging down in front like that. Apparently they have a bit of trouble with hypertension though… not sure I’m looking for an animal with stress problems…

[/quote]

Is that meerkat on the right doing a turd? It’s massive!

Just did a google search on parasites. There’s stuff out there that defies description. :astonished: Has anyone else out there come across this publication before? Wealth of information on stomach forna, raising tapeworms, etc:

Move over ‘The Economist,’ ‘Gut Magazine’ is in town…

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Oh I don’t know, stating the obvious if your boyfriend was no fan of beaver it could prove equally problematic. :wink:

HG[/quote]

Thanks HG!

I like beavers, they can build dams and bridges and railways and stuff

Koalas are ok too

But I think polar bears are cooler

you will notice that when I suggested beavers that I specifically mentioned the four legged ones that use wood and live in water, not the kind many a men spend hunting at the Pig Pen, or whatever sleezy bar you happen to attend :wink:

But there’s no dams in the Pig Pen?

HG

Is the Pig Pen that bad? Hmmmmm! No shit! I shall have to go there soon. hahah.

Sometimes, a person laughs when it hurts.

Stick with the polar bear. They are super cool, super well adapted, and one of the few animals which counts the walrus as one of its natural predators.