Polar Express in 3D at IMAX

I saw The Polar Express last night at the IMAX. Definitely the best 3D movie I’ve ever seen in terms of special effects (the last one was Jaws 3 :laughing: ). The story was pretty boring, but I imagine kids will love it. Tickets are expensive - $350NT, but the seats are super comfortable and there is more leg room than any other theatre I’ve been in in Taiwan. I had a crappy seat - at the very end of the row, but it made no difference to my view, so don’t worry if your seats are less than perfect - I think every seat in that theatre must be ok. Probably a good idea to stay away from the front rows, though.

One little glitch - the subtitles were very small, and not formatted for 3D, so it involved a little bit of refocusing if you wanted to read the Chinese subtitles…

I didn’t even realise Taipei had IMAX. Where is it Maoman?

Children’s amusement park, across from the Taipei Fine Arts Museum (on the site of where the old Taipei Zoo used to be).
Unless there is another lurking somewhere.

It’s out at the Miramar Mall or whatever they call it, the one with the big ferris wheel in Neihu.

As Poagao says - it’s at the ferris wheel shopping mall by Neihu/Dazhi.

What kind of 3D was it. Was it with the polarized glasses?

Yeah, but I didn’t think it was that good an effect. Perhaps that is due to the glasses or my eyes or the subtitles or something, but I thought the presentation in Sydney was more effective. Then again, I was sitting in the center then, so that might have had an effect.

We tried to sit in center seats after being told we could switch seats when the movie began, but then some ushers rushed over and said “The boss said no one can sit in these seats.”

[quote=“Maoman”]I saw The Polar Express last night at the IMAX. Definitely the best 3D movie I’ve ever seen in terms of special effects (the last one was Jaws 3 :lol: ).[/quote]Is it a cartoon or live action? I saw an 3D IMAX cartoon a couple of times but wasn’t that impressed. I think real mountains or stuff like that would be more impressive. I saw the Grand Canyon IMAX film – only 2D but still spectacular.

Computer animation…

Is the ferris wheel worth riding? I hear it’s the second biggest in the world after London Eye.

Brian David Phillips has some excellent comments on the movie here.