So today I parked my bike in a walk side where it’s not allowed. I went to check on it and a policeman was giving me a fine so I went up to him, between him and the motorcycle, and asked him to give me time to move the bike. He wanted to take a picture of a notification he had stuck on my bike, and I was covering it with my body as I was telling him that I wanted to move the bike. During this, and without me having touched him or anything, the fat policeman pushed me with his two hands on my chest, so I told him he was attacking me and then he said that I was doing it to him! O_o
Anyway he went away without taking a picture of the notification, which I removed, then I went for my keys for moving my bike and I saw that he had come back and had been doing something near my bike. I went to police station A (the closest one), and tried to report the situation. They told me to go to that policeman’s office, so I did. Once there, they put me on the phone with some “foreigners police”, who had discussed with them previously, and he told me that I had parked my bike somewhere where I shouldn’t and that that’s it. I tried to tell him the story about the cunt pushing me but he wasn’t really willing to listen much, so after the phone changing hands like 3 times, he started to tell me to “GO AWAY NOW, you BETTER LEAVE THE OFFICE NOW”. I repeated that I was pushed by a policeman without a real reason for that, and that I really wanted to report the situation, so he said “ok, if you really want to sue him go now to a hospital and get a medical report”. I explained him that I didn’t have injuries but that they could check the cameras, and in the end they told me to go to the Police headquarters nearby. So I went there.
Once there I explained the “foreigners police” lady the situation, and that I didn’t really consider it normal. She agreed with me and told me to go with me to the guy’s police office (?!?!?!?!). We went and basically they discussed in Chinese and then told me that the situation wasn’t clear because of the language gap, and blah blah blah.
I asked to record the chat, and I did so for a good 40 minutes lapse. During the chat, the “foreginers police” told me that (and it’s recorded):
- I say that he attacked me but the policeman felt attacked too because I talked to him in English (!!)
- I cannot file a complaint and/or get a copy of my statement because there’s no case
- There’s no case because there’s no evidence, only my version
- There’s no case because there’s no criminal violation of law
- They won’t check cameras for confirming on my accusations because there’s no case, because there’s only my version
- If I want to sue his fat ass then he can sue me too for obstruction of authority or something
- If I want to sue him I need to talk to a lawyer and he can do it (or something like that)
- if I want to file a complaint about the situation or report it, the way to do it is to call 911, not to go to a police station (which contradicts what I was told at the fat policeman’s police station)
- That I’m wasting everybody’s time and that I could choose between to stay there wasting time or go home
- that I don’t have the right to be attended in English because I live in Taiwan, and in Taiwan English is not an official language (it made me laugh because the government’s plans of making it official…)
- That if a Taiwanese were in my situation in my country, then “what? he would need to speak my country’s language”, which I replied explaining that they have the right for getting an English translator
The whole situation was amazingly frustrating. I also tried to tell the police woman that I was in a similar situation a year ago when I got hit by a scooter driving between the bus I was getting off from and the bus stop. She claimed it was MY fault, and in the end I had to stop her from escaping while waiting for the police. She hit me with a bag shouting that I was “very bad”, that I “didn’t understand Taiwan law”, etc etcetc… I got “help” from a “foreigners police” back then and despite I requested to sue her for the aggression and the problems caused to me in my freaking neighborhood, during the trial the judge said that yes, it was her fault to drive over me… and that was it. Where was the part I stressed out about her trying to escape from the police? where was the part about her hitting me with the hand bag? that wasn’t in the report / case, because they just ignored my requests.
When trying to explain this situation to the “foreigners” police woman, trying to point out how she was siding by the policeman instead of being helping me as she kept claiming, she wouldn’t let me talk more than 10 seconds in a row.
So my questions are:
given that I have poor to no evidence about the policeman using “violence” (there are some pictures taken from afar by a mate but you can’t tell if there’s physical contact), can I take any legal action against this asshole?
do I have the right to report such confrontation with an agent and get a copy of the statement?
if the answer to the previous question is yes, and given that I have the “foreigners” police saying otherwise, can I take any legal action against her? at the beginning of the audio I do ask for permit and I am granted to do so. Only when towards the end they started to discuss among them I was told to turn it off, and told that this wasn’t a place for recording, and I was asked to keep the phone in the backpack too.
can they take any action against me for I was between the bike and the agent, preventing him from taking a picture of the notice paper?
can they take any retaliation for me having tried to report / sue this guy? should I expect it to happen?
should I do something like to go to another police station or to seek for legal advice? is there any gov office that can help with this?
PS: I was requested to sign a new parking fine at the end of the session because according to him I “spoiled” the original one when I avoided the picture and then took the paper off my bike.