Police Brawl at Temple

No one arrived in that period. Well, except for me. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Actually, that was the time of “emigrants”, Taiwan people leaving Taiwan in mass for the US, Latin America, South Africa, anywhere but here as they feared China would take over as soon as US left diplomatic recognition on the floor.

1 Like

Makes 2 of us then. “The Union Crushing Bear Gang”?

Yeah I know I had a female “friend” who emigrated to Paraguay to help set up a “Rolex” factory.

I guess that’s a good enough way to refer to mainlanders, Waishenren (as they’re are/were most commonly called) or KMT refugees. Late immigrants certainly assumes a political stance as it explicitly implies the movement from one country to another.

I wouldn’t say “right” after, though. There were a few groups who fled to Burma, Thailand and some other places that made it much later (though the KMT should have taken care of all of them somehow because their situation is crap even today). I vaguely remember that, in the early days, anyone from the PRC who made it to Taiwan was given a cash reward. If a pilot flew a military jet here, they got a million dollars. That may not have actually been true, or ever happened, I haven’t read that part of history for awhile.

It happened. It was still happening in the 80s.

1 Like

I have found several news in Spanish. First deserter was July 1977, colonel Fan Yan-yen, in a MIG-19. We have a Chiang Wen-hao after the Tiannanmen incident, in 1989. He was the last one.

In Spanish it does mention the gold:

English
http://www.air-intel.nl/defectors.htm

Also mentions the gold.

They were called Anti-communism heroes (反共義士) and the action is referred to as 投奔自由

Reminds me of the dumb old joke:

什麼意思?
反共義士 (with the 義士 pronounced in 台灣國語 so it sounds like 意思)