Police question

Out of curiosity, if I were to call the cops and report that someone apparently tried to pry the house’s front door open with a shovel since my roommate last went out yesterday afternoon, and that they left said shovel jammed in the door so that I had to pound open the lock this morning, would the cops take fingerprints or do any investigation whatsoever? Or is it a waste of time here?

It depends where you live. The more you are up north the more useful it is. You have a household insurrance right? They probably want the police report. If you don’t have a household inssurance I don’t see what it could be good for (except for statistics).

Is it a plastic shovel, a wooden shovel or a metal shovel? Has it rained overnight? Is the shovel dirty? Have you touched the shovel? Is the shovel still in the same place? Do you know the shovel was definately used to prize the window open? Is it your shovel? Was there any damage? Did they manage to break in?

These are all questions that would have been asked if I was the cop and in the UK, I doubt that prints would be able to be obtained if the shovel was left outdoors overnight.

Better than prints, there’s probably a CCCTV camera nearby.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Better than prints, there’s probably a CCCTV camera nearby.

HG[/quote]

… which happens to be monitored but not taped.

[quote=“Dangermouse”]Is it a plastic shovel, a wooden shovel or a metal shovel? Has it rained overnight? Is the shovel dirty? Have you touched the shovel? Is the shovel still in the same place? Do you know the shovel was definately used to prize the window open? Is it your shovel? Was there any damage? Did they manage to break in?

These are all questions that would have been asked if I was the cop and in the UK, I doubt that prints would be able to be obtained if the shovel was left outdoors overnight.[/quote]

You forgot about asking what race is Mapo. Could it have been a hate crime? Should we call Jesse Jackson? :smiley:

Really? So how do they get the footage for the Chinese news of folks setting fire to scoots, or fighting then fleeing with bloodied watermelon knives (my persional favourite)?

You’re right, squids cop it bad in Taiwan. Skewered and BBQ’d mostly.

HG

Nook Cafe Theatre Chengde Road branch (downstairs from where I live) was burgled while I was away in Hong Kong last Tuesday. I discovered the break-in and called the police. They took photos and called a detective who came and took fingerprints. He did get one clear set of prints that could get the burglar if he/she is a repeat offender and the prints do not belong to one of the cafe staff. The security camera on the bank next door is pointing the wrong way.

It wasn’t an apartment. But if it was, it certainly wasn’t a “shovel”. If it had been a shovel, it wasn’t a metal shovel, but only a toy. If it was an actual shovel, it wasn’t a door. If was an actual door, it was not a door to an “actual house”. If was an “actual shovel” at the “actual door” to the “actual house”, it sure the hell wasn’t my shovel. If it proves that it was my shovel, I wasn’t anywhere around. If you find I was around, hell, I was drunk and looking at Islamic cartoons.