Policing in America

Why 21 though?
Why not 30?

Why not, indeed.

I actually donā€™t know about this one if you read the story.

The man jumped in trying to run away when he couldnā€™t swim. Itā€™s extremely dangerous to help a drowning person. I do think they should have helped but to be fair they were getting a boat. Iā€™m not sure if I blame them for not getting into the water.

And maybe the officers also arenā€™t great swimmers?

Cops who canā€™t swim?

So what happens if the suspect they are trying to catch just swims away?

I mean they have training for police officers for a reason.

I have no idea if swimming is a requirement, Iā€™m guessing not. Itā€™s also 1 thing to know how to swim, another to be a competent swimmer, and whole other thing to be able to rescue people in the water. Itā€™s something you do need to train for. It can become very dangerous.

1 Like

Well they should be trained for that. Cops canā€™t control the circumstances they need to do their job. Just like you canā€™t join the navy unless you can swim.

Also theyā€™re first responders, meaning they must run into situations where people are drowning. At least they should have life preservers or whatever.

Iā€™m guessing life preservers donā€™t really come in handy in Arizona all that much.

Seems like you had to go well out of your way to get in there, and no one in their right mind would do it. More like a river than a lake. It would have been unacceptably dangerous to go after him without a boat, Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll find.

1 Like

The drowning guy didnā€™t need the scolding.

Cops donā€™t have a coil of rope in the trunk? Arizona? Flash floods? Hello

You can.

They have boats after all.

No way Iā€™m jumping in the water with that loon.

1 Like

Weā€™ll see how big this gets.

Still donā€™t know who he injured, or whether or not he or she or they was in the car with the married Mr. Pelosi while his wife was in another state doing the lordā€™s work saving abortion.

According to a press release from the district attorneyā€™s office, Mr. Pelosi had a blood alcohol content level of .082% when a sample was taken about two hours after the crash.

It was not immediately clear who was injured, whether that person was a passenger in Mr. Pelosiā€™s Porsche or in another car, or what was the extent of the injuries.

More protests over a police shooting, in Akron Ohio lately. Naturally the news simply refers to him as ā€œan unarmed black manā€, about police ā€œaccountabilityā€ and ā€œjusticeā€, and questioning why a traffic violation turned into a shooting.

Nevermind the fact that the ā€œvictimā€ here chose to flee police during that traffic stop, went on a high speed pursuit, fired a gun out the window, and jumped out of his car in a ski mask. A loaded gun found inside his car.

They do fire a gazillion shots, which seems excessive, but the number of shots is ultimately irrelevant. The police also attempted to hit him with a tazer first, and I donā€™t see anything wrong here in their actions (except the fact that they nearly shot each other).

2 Likes

the vast, vast majority of articles Iā€™ve read have mentioned the items you discussed (pursuit, (alleged) shot, gun in car, mask, and things you didnā€™t mention, such as (claimed) found shell casing).

high speed police pursuits, generally, probably shouldnā€™t be a thing anymore. more downside than up.

lawyer claims unloaded gun, cops didnā€™t say either way, but said a loaded mag. the picture the cops provided shows a gun without a magazine in it (could have one in the chamber). which suggests the the gun was likely unloaded.

other than that whole public safety aspect.

I watched the video a few days ago and canā€™t see how anyone would be outraged.

What I havenā€™t seen reported is whether gun powder residue was found on his hand. If he really fired a shot out the window, there is no way the cops could know he was unarmed at the time.

1 Like

No way. There are so many ammoral criminal lunatics in the US, and youā€™d just be handing them a free pass. Weā€™ve already seen enough of that since 2020, with no sense of responsibility or community apparent, and people jumping up to take advantage of any leeway. Thatā€™s why we have the kind of policing we have in large part, to begin with.

1 Like

police chases are generally for tickytacky shit and kill like 100 bystanders a year. the risk/reward is shit.