"Polisher" in mainland China- rates

Does anybody know what polishers (proofreaders) get paid in mainland China. I’m especially interested to know what they can charge for freelance work.

I’ve read here that NT$7 per word is the fair rate in Taiwan- a little less than 2.5 cents US that seems to be the norm. How about for China? A friend of a friend needs help. Can I charge him 2.5 cents per word, or will he laugh in my face. I won’t do it for too much less but I’d like to be informed.

Thanks in advance.

well, first of all, stop calling it MAINLAND China. It is not MAINLAND CHINA. It is China. then ask your question again, once you’ve got the two countries right…

Can you show a link to that? I don’t know anywhere that pays even close to that much just for proofing! I usually get about NT$1,200-NT$1,500/hour, and that’s high.
NT$7 would be pretty damned good for Chinese>English translation, which pays a SHITLOAD more than simple proofing/polishing.
I think you have some crossed wires there.
I have no idea how much they pay in China but I’d be surprised if its anywhere remotely close to NT$7/word.

I meant NT$0.7 per word.

I got US$40 an hour for proofreading in China once. Of course, it was for the UN. They’ve got money to blow.

Standard rates there are about N$500 an hour (120 RMB), not bad for China in terms of purchasing power, but not great compared to Taiwan in nominal terms.

The title of this thread is [i]very[/i] misleading.

[quote=“DSN”]I got US$40 an hour for proofreading in China once. Of course, it was for the UN. They’ve got money to blow.

Standard rates there are about N$500 an hour (120 RMB), not bad for China in terms of purchasing power, but not great compared to Taiwan in nominal terms.[/quote]

That’s very encouraging. I don’t think US$0.025 per word is at all out of the question for mainland China. Thanks.

It’s not mainland China, dammit, it’s “CHINA”. :loco:

The sort of “polishing” I am familiar with costs about Rmb200-500 an hour, if anyone’s interested…

The sort of “polishing” I am familiar with costs about Rmb200-500 an hour, if anyone’s interested…[/quote]

Photos? :wink: